Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a RX-V450 Yamaha AV Receiver (85watts x 6) that has 2 Hitachi HS-480 speakers connected to it. Since one of the speakers is damaged I thought that rather than repairing it, it was long overdue for a new set. I have been looking at the CF-30 Energy and the Polk Audio M20. Since we have a surround system in the basement, I plan on only ever using a 2 speaker set up for TV and music on the main floor. Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what my best options are for a set of new speakers. Oh yeah, the ET centre is in a room 14 feet X 14 feet with an open concept plan. Thx in advance
Allan

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow Al, that is a loaded question. I've actually gone backwards in my speaker choices - I'm finding it harder to find sub-$1000 speaker sets I like. For example, I'm now almost all late 80's, early 90's in my speakers - Boston T830s in the bedroom, Boston A70s in the basement, and Paradigm CC-200 and Mission 670i in the HT room. Even my mains are late 90's speakers.

Odds are that there is nothing in a new offering that will deliver bass like the Hitachis do if you want a 2.0 system (short of Cerwin Vegas). Even with multiple 6.5" drivers, new speakers may be rated into the 30Hz range, but simply cannot deliver the same sort of percussive punch those Hitachi 12" woofers will.

Mind you, you'd likely enjoy a much improved midrange and top end with a more modern set of speakers.

Did you have any budgetary, space, or spouse concerns? What do you think about your Hitachis? What would you want a new speaker to do better than what the Hitachis do?

Let me know, and maybe I can recommend some not quite vintage options.

BTW, skip the M20s - I used to own a set and they do get surprising bass for a single 6.5". However, the tweeter breaks up too easy at high volumes, and the bass is chuffy through the generous port. The Energy is a better option, but even those have degraded since Klipsch took over.

What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Scooter,
Thanks for the reply. Basically the wife and I do not want to clutter up the main floor with a bunch of speakers. We are going for a Retro theme. You were bang on when you mentioned about the good bass on the Hitachi's, as the woofers have taken a lot of abuse and the cones are indented. The problem is I am not much of an teckie so my dilemna is to find some modern speakers with out getting a sub-woofer. A salesman pointed out to me that even 2.1 has a sub. I meant to say that I was looking at the TSI 300 series not the M20, however what I need is a separate opinion on whether a speaker like this will have a low enough bass frequency that I could be happy with. (Most of the speakers always sound good in the showroom) the low end on these is 35Hz and the high 24kHz. What is the average on a sub 30Hz - 300Hz? Not sure if my ears are good enough even to notice the difference. I may be getting old, but I am not that old yet. (46)
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scooter,
Thanks for mentioning Cerwin Vega speakers. I am looking at their site right now and thinking that they are probably exactly what I am looking for. Just have to find a supplier close by.
Thx

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hey E-A,

I know the CV CLS series was rather favorably reviewed, though the tweeters were not really to my liking.

Some alternatives are:
- I have Sound Dynamics RTS-P1000 towers - each has two powered 6.5" woofers built into each tower. Very good bass response, and these can be found used on Canuck Audio Mart. Nice all around speakers.
- I believe Polk makes a larger floorstander with a side firing larger woofer. Seems to me these were pricey.
- Could do the kijiji or usedcalgary.com thing to see what you could find. Looking for Calgary, I'd try searching Paradigm - lots of nice older models. I also see a nice set of JBL towers with a sub (optional) for a very, very reasonable price!

Regardless, as much as I do appreciate a powered sub, bookshelves or small towers teamed with a sub misses a certain "natural" sound you only get from big woofers.

And if you decide you want to fix your Hitachis, let me know as I can give you some tips!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scooter,
Thanks for the info. There is a guy in town called Speakers Only that I thought of, just not sure how much dough I want to sink into a very old set of speakers. What would you suggest if I was to repair the Hitachi's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts