Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hitachi's HDS69 series picture is framed by slim aluminum trim and silver side speakers that present the impression that the television is machined from a solid block of aluminum. Both the 42- and 55-inch models include the new PictureMaster(TM) HD III processor, featuring dynamic contrast, dynamic histogram processing, maximum 16 bit/281 trillion color capability, automatic 3:2 film processing, 4 HD aspect modes, 6 SD aspect modes, and split screen/picture in picture.

The 42HDS69 has 1024 x 1080 resolution using Alternate Lighting of Surfaces (ALiS) panel technology that delivers more than 1.1 million pixels. The 55HDS69, with 1365 x 768 resolution and high-contrast black rib structure is designed for consumers that want big impact in a large screen plasma product. Both models feature the new natural color anti-reflective glass filter, pure HDTV blue and red, high-aperture pixel design, and include:

-- (3) HDMI(TM) audio/video inputs.

-- (3) Component inputs.

-- The Quick Start Seamless HDTV and NTSC tuners deliver the picture quickly with seamless access to all available channels.

-- CableCARD(TM) compatibility provides simplified "one remote control" operation for cable programming on participating systems.

-- Hitachi's separate Day and Night Memories for each source component deliver superior picture quality. Simply pressing the Day/Night button on the remote or using the automatic timer switches between bright daytime settings and high fidelity nighttime settings.

-- Six Speaker 36-watt audio system.

-- Manual tabletop swivel stand (optional for 55-inch).

Additional highlights include an auto link input sensor, simulated surround sound, bass boost, optical digital audio output.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hitachi 42HDS69 ULTRAVISION® High-Definition Plasma TV

Pixel Mapping - 1,080 Vertical Pixels
1 Million Pixel Resolution:
- 1024 x 1080 Pixels (1,105,920 Total Pixels)
ALiS™ Display Technology
PictureMaster™ HD III Video Processor
- 16 Bit/281 Trillion Colour Capability
3 x HDMI™ Inputs (1 Side)
3 x Component Video Inputs (1 Side)
Quick Start Seamless HDTV (ATSC) and NTSC Tuner

55HDS69 ULTRAVISION® High-Definition Plasma TV

1 Million Pixel Resolution:
- 1366 x 768 Pixels (1,049,088 Total Pixels)
High-Contrast Black Rib Structure
PictureMaster™ HD III Video Processor
- 16 Bit/281 Trillion Colour Capability
3 x HDMI™ Inputs (1 Side)
3 x Component Video Inputs (1 Side)
Quick Start Seamless HDTV (ATSC) and NTSC Tuner

·
Super Moderator
56,633 Posts
Does this TV have two internal tuners? If not, you'll need an external source for the second signal to feed the other P.

Are you using a cable or Satellite STB? If so, PiP is usually useless since you need two sources and this is only one (although some people split the cable signal and use the TV's internal tuner as the second source).

This is all usually outlined in the PiP section of your operating manual. There may be other limitations, such as the type of input or the type of signal.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does this TV have two internal tuners? If not, you'll need an external source for the second signal to feed the other P.

Are you using a cable or Satellite STB? If so, PiP is usually useless since you need two sources and this is only one (although some people split the cable signal and use the TV's internal tuner as the second source).

This is all usually outlined in the PiP section of your operating manual. There may be other limitations, such as the type of input or the type of signal.
I'm using Star Choice Satellite HDMI to DVI for my input 1 and have a second Satellite reciever connected via coax.

I called Hitachi and the tech told me the only way to get the PIP to work is with a HD signal through the ant/cable input. Since I cant' get a HD signal from my second reciver, I'm out of luck getting the PIP to work....It's a shame they should have been a little more clear with the description in the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Assistance with Setup from HD PVR & DVD

Hey all. I am very happy to have found this site. I hope the tech wizards here might be able to help me better configure my new plasma. I bought a Hitachi 42HDS69 about 6 weeks ago now and am still fiddling with the settings. I have a couple of technical questions I'm hoping other Hitachi users might be able to answer, or offer their experiences.

(1) Overall performance: Perhaps I expected a lot of a plasma, but I'm finding that even when connected through an HDMI cable from a Rogers 8300HD PVR, their is slight distortions in the picture, particularly around text from HD baseball games. A HD Blue Jays game seems to have distortion where I might have expected crystal clear images. Am I expecting too much? Any settings advice?

(2) HDMI DVD connections: If I'm watching cable TV, and I want to watch a DVD, I turn on the DVD player and I switch the TV input to the input I have configured for DVD. The result is that not only does the TV not detect the HDMI signal, it then stops responding to the remote if I try to switch the input back to cable TV, or even try to shut the TV off. Even the power button on the TV itself does not respond.

(3) HDMI PVR connections: I gather from the 8300HD PVR forum that if I don't turn on the PVR well before the TV, the PVR it will block the HDMI connection and show a screen complaining about HDCP issues. Is there no way around this? I use a Harmony universal remote and it turns on all the components at once. I'm sure I could program it to delay powering on the TV, but that seems like such a bad solution.

(4) If anyone happens to have the Hitachi 42/55 with a Rogers 8300HD PVR and has settings they are particularly happy with (for the TV's video setup and/or Rogers box setup), I would love to hear them. Overall, I just expected the images to be more crisp and less distorted both from a HD and upconverting DVD source.

Many thanks to those who answer!

I love this stuff!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remote and Hitachi 42hds69

Had the same problem with the remote not working after I hooked up a new external sound system. Hitachi had me take the batteries out of the remote and press every button, then batteries back in. It worked for me.;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
42HDS69 picture freezing problem

Just over a month ago I picked up a Hitachi 42HDS69. Great picture! I do however have a problem (which seems to be getting worse). Every couple of minutes the picture freezes for a second (or two) and then resumes. During this time the sound continues along fine.

Another (perhaps unralated?) problem is that the tone of the picture seems to change (i.e. the temperature?) right in the middle of a scene and then changes back.

Any help would be MUCH appreciatted.

Mark.

·
Super Moderator
56,633 Posts
Do you have a STB connected to the TV or are you using the TV only? See the Digital Home FAQ (under help) "Things to check first". If you've got a STB, check the connections (properly) as indicated in the FAQ.

·
Banned
85 Posts
hitachi 42hds79 42hds69 color problems

I have read alot of good reviews and then i come across the cnets review and some other reviews about the terrible color on this TV. I want this TV to be perfect but I cannot purchase it with neon greens and flourescent yellows on the screen. I also read about a software fix that is needed when you purchase the TV? Anybody who owns this TV I would soo greatly appreciate your input. thanks a million.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have read alot of good reviews and then i come across the cnets review and some other reviews about the terrible color on this TV. I want this TV to be perfect but I cannot purchase it with neon greens and flourescent yellows on the screen. I also read about a software fix that is needed when you purchase the TV? Anybody who owns this TV I would soo greatly appreciate your input. thanks a million.
I don't own that particular TV, but I'm a bit puzzled by reference to poor colour for the 55" Hitachi panels. I read a recent review saying that the 55HDX99 offered accuracy in colour reproduction that was matched by very few HDTVs. Nearly perfect grayscale tracking to 6500K, dead-on spec red and blue, with green only a tad oversaturated. I have certainly not noticed any colour on my TV that approaches neon green and fluorescent yellow. Quite the opposite, I found the Hitachi had a very natural looking picture.

·
Registered
2 Posts
regarding 42HDS69 picture freezing

Referring to my original post about the picture freezing on my 42HDS69... Here is some more info that may be relavent: I have the TV connected to a Bell Expressview HD receiver via components (the receiver doesn't have HDMI otherwise I would use that). The freezing happens mainly when watching the sattelite -- quite often actually -- sometimes as much as once every couple of minutes. It seems to be getting worse. Tonight for example, I was watching tv and the screen froze for almost 40 seconds before it resumed! I went a local high end TV store and even before I was finished explaining, he said it was the sattelite box...something about it being data overloaded. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
731 Posts
Does anyone know how to update the firmware?? I lost my manual and cant find any info on this site? Where do i get the file from??

Thanks!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ok I sent in my warrenty card a while ago and still havent received a firmware update. Nobody knows if this can be done online???

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can download a new manual off the hitachi website. The firmware is done by inserting a card in the back of your TV. From my experience, they will not send one unless you bug them, and even then they may not send one to YOU, but rather a local authorized repair shop.

The manual clearly states they will automatically send firmware updates if you send in the warranty card, but they would not send one to me even though there was an upgrade available. It took me 6 months for them to even have a local shop do the upgrade (which did fix my problem at the time) - although others have had hitachi send them the card directly, so I have no idea what their policy is - but it is not consistant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thought I'd post this here too as I posted it in the hdt79 thread:

For anyone who doenst know about this "manual" fix yet for the hdt79 series (not supposed to work with the hds69 but some ppl have had luck with it even if you do it they say it's a noticable difference) of hitachi's tv's a guy on the avsforums was in contact with a technician who gave him this fix and its worked wonders for me, my flicker is entirely gone!! none whatsoever..

I have something for you to try on your TV set at home, please. This is a "manual" process to change some preset data...That we are currently working on providing it with a software upgrade, but you can see if you can apply manually and can let us know your outcome, please.

Access the service menu:

Press "Menu", (wait for the menu to show up) and then Menu again and then key in "8" and then "Select"...you should be in the service menu now..
look for DEVICE, select, press 12 then cursor right to highlight item No then enter 33, cursor right to highlight data, when you cursor right, it will toggle between
0 and 1, change from 0 to 1 then cursor down once and do it again, this time enter item 34, do the same, change from 0 to 1 and then cursor down , enter 12 again
cursor right to highlight item, enter 35, cursor right o highlight data, change from 0 to 1, then cursor down and then exit.

Summary:

Enter service mode, Menu ~ Menu 8 select: select DEVICE:

Device no Item No Data
12 33 0 to 1
12 34 0 to 1
12 35 0 to 1

press cursor down few times and then press EXIT, Exit and you are done.

Please change these settings and check it out, see if the flickering is still present.

Let us know your results, please.

·
Registered
129 Posts
TV as a center channel

I am thinking of purchasing this TV.

I want to wall mount this TV and to do this It will be a tough set up for my center channel speaker I have a Energy HTS 1 and it is quite large and heavy (21 lbs) http://www.energy-speakers.com/source/Energy_HTS-1_brochure.pdf

Can anyone comment on using this TV as a center channel and ditching my existing one?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts