Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I have an Hitachi 57F510 57" rear projection TV which is HDTV.
When we bought it few years ago the salesman told us that we could upgrade this TV to HD with an additional card or something like that.
I was wondering if anyone is aware of any part that I can buy to turn my TV in HD to view my regular cable programs.

Thanks for the help

Fabio

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
You already have an HDTV, so all you need to purchase/rent is an HD STB (set top box) or HD PVR from your cable service provider (if you wish to stick with cable). You then connect it via the component video connections to the TV for video and also some audio connections to the TV or AVR if you have one. The TV has DVI, however, it's usually problematical and may not be HDCP compliant on this older TV. You cannot turn regular SD programming to HD - your TV is already doing the best it can for SD programming you're receiving. I assume you currently have the RF-coax cable connected directly to the TV's ANT/Cable input. Where are you located and who is your service provider? Here's an article from Digital Home:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/2010/04/hdtv-primer-what-you-need-to-watch-hd-programming/

Although these TVs were good for their time, you cannot expect the picture quality that you would see on today's 1080P Plasmas for example (which also require an external STB if you use cable). The HD picture should however be significantly better than the SD image you're seeing now, when all the equipment is properly set up, connected and optimized.

Check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
488 Posts
I actually have a different version of that TV if you spend money and get it calibrated it can look almost as good as lots of the newer TV's

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just so you don't think that salesman lied to you...He was probably talking about an ATSC tuner module of some kind. At that time I don't believe the HD broadcast standards had been set so there were TV's that were HDTV ready but didn't have off air HD tuning cabability. If you are thinking of going OTA (over the air) for your HD you might see if that module ever materialized. If not, the advice above, re HD STB's is the way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
He might have been talking about a Cable Card which I don't believe was ever available from Canadian providers. I know my 5 year old Sony rear projection has a Cable Card slot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts