Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems my banks of 1.5GB Seagate drive are tapped in in teh WHS.
I run 4 internal and 2 sets of 2 in 2 dual drive externals as backup.

So checking out some new 2 TB drives to drop into a nice 4 bay external I picked up on a recent stateside trip.

I hear good thinks about the Hitachi's if you can find the damn things.

Was pointed towards the 5400 WD, nice low costm but hear their advanced format might be troublesome with WHS2K3.

So looked at some LP Seagate and seems they are almost all short life, doa crap.

Can anybody point me to some comparision of all the variations of the Hitach 2TB drives:
I see 7K2000 in a couple of SKU's and a HD32000 that is alledgedly a 7K2000 in a diferent retail box.
Could anyone confirm that?

The seem to be going for around $140 or so, which seems reasonable.

Noise wont be an issues and the external sits in the basement in the server farm.
Hopefully the enclosure has good ventilation when loaded with 4 drives.
As best I can tell, the Hitachi 2TB drives still use good old 512 Kb sectors.

Does anybody have any recommendation to use in a WHS application?
I don't need comparability issues right now.
I need to get 8TB up, running and data moved across as several of the Seagate 1500;s are show SMART deterioration.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I second the opinion on the quality of Seagate drives. They have been garbage for a couple of years now and Seagate knows it.

I highly recommend the WD Green drives for a home server. If an XP based OS is being used, WD has a utility that can be run to fix the speed issues. This might also apply to WHS. Newer OS systems, such as recent Linux distros or Win7, are being used, there should be no issue. The WD drives are also quite a bit cheaper than the Hitachi models from some retailers. It might be worth checking to see if the 4 drive NAS works well with large sector drives.

The Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 drive draws more power than the WD drives and has more platters. This means that it will run hot unless it has good ventilation. The heat issue is especially important with some NAS enclosures.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The WD utility doesn't run on WHS (or at least it didn't when the drives first started coming out). Given that WHS storage pool drives only have one partition, I don't see why you couldn't use the jumper method to have the drive realign sectors automatically.

I don't have much experience with Hitachi drives, so I can't comment on their reliability.

·
Registered
275 Posts
WD has EARS series drives and EADS series. The EARS drives are advanced format but the EADS are old style drives. From a review I read they are not as quick as the EARS, but for a file server they should be fine.

I looked into a 2TB EARS drive and there are some issues with Linux. You have to change some settings when formatting it to get it to work properly otherwise performance is poor.

The price difference isn't all that much, so you might want to look at EADS if it is easier for you to plug and play.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the EADS and couldn't find sufficient quantity in Cowtown the day I needed then.

Picked up 4 of the 2TB EARS at Memory Express.
They were -$20 on sale at $109 and then they matched NCIX for $99, so I took the 4 years instant product replacement for an extra $18.
Something I have never done before, but figured it extends the Mfg, 3 years by an extra and with the savings, what the heck.

Since WHS is based on server 2K3, I put on the 7-8 jumper.

They are all mounted ready to go in a Sans Digital 4 bat eSata tower.
I've just finished back up ~ 6TB onto 2 pairs of 2 nay Vantex MX enclosures with Seagate 1.5TB.
Starting to do the drive removal on WHS tonight and should know by tomorrow if they will light up and behave as expected.

Think I'm just going to use the internal sata with a cable to make it external.
Put the 4x 2TB on #1
And then 3 of the Vantex 2 Bays on the 2, 3 & 4.

They are USB right now, but think the eSata wil give a good speed boost.

The OS/Boot runs of a extra sata controller that runs either internal or external port and uses a mirrored pair of 320's.

The next question down the road will be when Vail (WHS 2) comes out gold, do I take the 7-8 Jumper off then Advanced Format support will be native in Server 2K8?

It will be manageable because I'll have 8TB online in Storage Pool backed up to 9TB external Unmanaged.
Think I'll just use Second Copy or something, this way I can move the drives to ANY other box and don't have files stored in all sorts of dates folders.
Unless some guru's have a better suggestion.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Happy Hapy Joy Joy

OK, got the 4 EARS 2TB in a Sans Digital tower, runs of the SIL eSata card.
Works great. Didn't realize my Asus A8N-VM-CSM sata ports aren't port multipliers.
Are any MB internal ports?

I used some brackets to extend out the back.
I have 3 Vantec MX 2 bay enclosures and they are great on USB, but on eSata, only see 1 drive unless connected to a multiplier controller.

I checked the speed of data going onto the 4 drives when using an eSata connected Seagate 7200 RPM.

Seemed to run about 42MBs which is within range for sata connected drives.
Certainly mucg faster than outgoing tot he USB connected drives.

So working fine with the 7-8 jumpers on WHS based on server 2K3.

With all the control rejigging, I lost my raid 1 pair of system/boot disks.
The were on a SIL raid card.
Now running of port 1 & 2 and the NVRAID from a Nforce 430 has driver loading problems during the OS install.
May try and image clone to the 2nd drive and something like second copy to keep it in sync.

Any other great ideas on this one?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Good to hear the EARS drives will indeed work now. I'm in the process of setting up a WHS server for another family member, and will probably toss one of those drives in it.

I'm not too sure on the RAID or port multiplier questions, so I'll let someone else chime in with that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts