Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I have researched the internet regarding my Hitachi 50FX30B and I'm really not certain if I have pin pointed the exact issue that I've recently experienced. As a bit of history, up to this point the TV has been working outstanding with great picture quality. Recently after turning it on (and for the first time I can recall.) I noticed the picture flickering slowly from dark to normal brightness over 5-10 minutes. Suddenly, the picture went completely black twice and on the third time stayed black and never returned. Sound is still good as are the channels you can hear when I switch them. From what I have read, all signs may point to a possible faulty convergence board, however my symptoms really don't match up with what I have read. In a nutshell, any further input or advice I can gather from you folks would be greatly appreciated. I have read with great interest the thread regarding Hitachi Convergence Boards too, and will be utilizing that for future reference!

Thanks in advance!
Zam

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Sometimes when this happens it's due to a poor connection somewhere. I agree, it doesn't sound like convergence. There are 6 potentiometers behind the front panel of most Hitachis (not sure about yours) and they can sometimes cause the picture to flicker, become darker, etc. However, you must be very careful with these trimpots since even a minor adjustment of the colour ones can throw the colour off so much that you may not be able to get the correct colour back again. The focus pots are easy to adjust, but be very careful with the colour trimpots. These sorts of mechanical connections can be the cause of flicker, as can any other similar switches, etc. Wherever you have a switch/pot, move it a bit to see if that helps.

I assume you've checked the connections on the back of the TV or any devices that you have connected to the TV. What do you have connected to the TV? Is it the same for all the connected devices. Try unplugging the TV overnight. Here's a list of "things to check"

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

And here's a useful post - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply 57! I have a pretty busy 3 days coming up but I will look into all your suggestions this weekend! I will follow up with my findings so they may help others as soon as possible!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts