Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got this TV a week ago and ive read everywhere that this TV has a VirtualHD 1080p Video Processor but it doesnt say this anywhere in my manual so i just wanted to make sure.

heres the spec page for the 46F510:
http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/projection/pdf/46F510.pdf

i heard that this was added to the F510 series and the older models (F500 series) didnt have this. will this TV really do 1080p?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
It's just marketing hype and doesn't do anything as far as I can tell.

Some people say to turn it on during sporting events to get a better picture but my eyes don't see a difference. I have never used it.

It is not true 1080p. It is some sort of conversion feature that makes no difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
how do you turn it on?

this is what 57 said about it:
I'm not sure if your particular TV has that feature, but if it does, it means that the incoming signal gets converted to 1080P for any "processing" (scaling, etc), before being sent out to be displayed at the native resolution.

The 1080P processor is also used on Hitachi TVs that display natively at 720P.

The theory is that processing at the higher format provides a better, more accurate ultimate picture, in the same way as a calculator using 4 significant digits instead of 3 can provide a more accurate answer, even though the final answer is only displayed in 3 digits.
im a noob at HDTV's, but i know its not true 1080p, my TV's native resolution is 1080i, but i was just wondering because i know the PS3 can do 1080p, and if my TV can do it (even if its not true 1080p, i thought it would look better), thatd be great.

edit: nm, i see how to select the different VirtualHD settings but 1080P isnt one of them.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Perhaps the 1080p processing is done automatically as I don't recall reading in the manual about a switch to turn it on or off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If its like my model the 57f520 you should be able to go into menu...setup...and you will see a setting called virtual hd setting...there you have 2 options...540p or 1080i I believe....myself I generally keep it on 540p....there is a smoother look to the pic depending on what you are watching with 1080i but its a ever so slight change in pic...

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
ammo, that's totally different and the 540P option is only for SD signals. HD is displayed as 1080i on your TV, no choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I just checked the specs for both of these units and they are the same with the exception of screen size.They are both described to have virtual hd 1080p processor and have selectable 540 and 1080i.So pardon my ignorance but where is it different...the poster is looking for the 1080p setting....there is no 1080p setting as with mine...540 or 1080i thats it...

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Whoops, sorry, I got confused. You are correct that there is no 1080P setting, the processing is done in 1080P and then "downcomverted" to the display.

What confused me was the 540P remark. I wonder whether the incoming SD signals (where you can select 540P) are also converted to 1080P, processed, and then downconverted to 540P. I guess so... Does the manual say?

(I had just responded to a similar question in another thread where the person had an LCD-RPTV Hitachi and there all signals get converted to 720P in the end.)

·
Registered
424 Posts
my 42v525 says it has the 1080p virtual processing as well but I don't know where any options are about it. I've been through the menus but I don't see anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Same here, my 57T500 boasts 1080P processing as well but I've never seen any setting to enable it. I wounder if it simply means that the set will accept a 1080P signal then down convert it to 1080i. That's my guess.

·
Registered
10 Posts
VirtualHD™1080p II:
When content from film is sent to your home it requires processing that can cause picture noise or distortion. VirtualHD™ technology reduces this noise to a minimum, recreating the smooth curves and high fidelity image of the original film source. An advanced technique, dynamic histogram processing, digitally maps the incoming signal to optimize on screen contrast, color and sharpness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts