Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
True but as you imply that inferiority complex first applies in the minds of the consumers. Witness also the American advertising obsession for Superbowl, continued black market satellite services, and the CRTC's expectation that skinny basic will include 4+1 to satisfy expectations. I don't know any other English speaking country where neighbour envy prevails so much. New Zealanders don't long for Australian channels, Irish don't gaze longingly for English TV. And from other comments on the history of TV in Canada both OTA and cable/satellite it seems to be demand driven not broadcaster driven.

I'm an immigrant, I love Canada. I just don't get the American obsession but it is nice to go south in winter and visit.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I think it's partly due to being too close to the US and partly due to the larger market they have there that creates better TV programming and other benefits. We tend to overlook some of the areas where the US compares unfavorably, like crime, but it does make for good TV dramas. It's not so much that we want US TV, we just want their TV shows and the products they advertise. When Canadian stations, networks and other products are comparable, I'm happy with them. The unfortunate fact is that they are often inferior, due to government regulation or some other factor such as market size.

New Zealanders don't long for Australian channels, Irish don't gaze longingly for English TV.
New Zealanders cannot get Australian OTA so the situation was totally different and the Irish dislike the British for historical reasons and want to keep their identity at a grass roots level. Canadians, in general, have a much weaker identity than countries that have deep, homogenous roots. A large number of Canadians identify with their immigrant cultural roots as much as Canada. That can be seen most strongly in Quebec but it exists elsewhere. Why wouldn't Canadians want TV from the US cultural "melting pot" that reflects their own experience? This is not unique to Canada either. Regulation created a similar situation in the UK. Radio Luxemburg was popular there and offshore radio stations were a phenomena in the late 1960s. That was due to a government created broadcast monopoly that stifled competition for the BBC. US TV stations and programming are also popular in the UK and around the world. I sometimes see references to US stations that are available in other countries but are not approved here.

·
Registered
309 Posts
^ Unfortunately the article's title and opening paragraph are misleading and inaccurate. The rest of the article seems okay. The CRTC has been quite clear that US Channels still have to be approved. The only change for them is the channels will have to be available unbundled, just like the Canadian channels.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing TNT, Syfy, Discovery Family (dang you Hub Network), Nicktoons, and hopefully the true version of Cartoon Network (the one with the REAL Adult Swim and Toonami blocks) come into Canada. If they do, then it may encourage innovation with regards to the Canadian equivalent. For instance, how will Space compete against Syfy? Will Bell just rebrand it as Syfy, or keep their own identify whilst allowing Syfy entry to compete?

Same thing with ABC Spark. It should technically rebrand as ABC Family.

Plus getting Disney Channel and all the various Nick ones, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, TeenNick. TVLand maybe?

Possibilities are endless, it seems... only time will tell what really happens with this decision...

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
As previously discussed, that's not likely to happen due to lack of carriage approval, copyright issues and licensing agreements. The CRTC did not open the door to direct competition from US channels. It merely relaxed genre requirements for Canadian channels. That was already happening. A lot of existing specialty channels had already strayed from their original genre. Some are already rerun or time shifting outlets for other channels owned by their parent companies. We are not going to see a flood of new channels or programming due to this decision. We may see some changes in branding and content for a few channels.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought an IPTV box two weeks ago almost and found someone who can offer me USA Channels for $20 a month. Waiting for it to arrive. I'm going to be using this in conjuction with Rogers Cable. You want USA Channels find a private IPTV provider on Kiijii.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Unlike many Canadian viewers, I myself do not mind simsub if it is done properly. Meaning that the only part of U.S. programming that is substituted are the commercials. As a Canadian living in Canada, why should I care about Geico, Southwest Airlines, DirecTV or U.S. Navy commercials?

However, in too many times the simsubs are not executed properly. Simsub goes in or goes out too early or too late, simsub quality is not on par with the original broadcaster, incorrect substitution, simsub left on too long the original show is already over, and the worst of all is Canadian broadcaster actually changes the content of the program being simsubbed.

Those I can not stand and each time infraction happens I report it to CRTC.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
US OTA not on Canadian providers

There are now many US OTA sub channels not available from Canadian providers.This is helping to promote the use of OTA in GTA .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Back then USA Network's parent company NBC Universal should have went to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland and the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario to complain about the Canadian Federal broadcasting regulator (Canadian Radio - Television & Telecommunications Commission) denying the U.S Pay Cable speciality channel USA Network from coming into the country of Canada because of Canadian Television Networks that owned Canadian Pay Cable specialty channels that is carried on Canadian BDU's and Cable companies.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
US stations and networks have no rights to broadcast in Canada. Canadian BDUs could stop carrying them and nothing could be done except for consumer protests to the CRTC. The CRTC has acted in the past on consumer protests over unpopular channel lineup changes and removed channels but it is the exception rather than the norm. I've seen many US stations removed from cable lineups here and only one time did the CRTC get involved.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
Back then USA Network's parent company NBC Universal should have went to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland and the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario to complain about the Canadian Federal broadcasting regulator (Canadian Radio - Television & Telecommunications Commission) denying the U.S Pay Cable speciality channel USA Network from coming into the country of Canada because of Canadian Television Networks that owned Canadian Pay Cable specialty channels that is carried on Canadian BDU's and Cable companies.
Here is the 2007 CRTC decision to deny the addition of USA Network to the list of non-Canadian services because it would compete against Canadian services. Shaw sponsored the addition and Bell supported the proposal. That was before they acquired Canwest (Global TV) and CTV respectively.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2007/pb2007-104.htm

As you can see from the CRTC's analysis and determinations, it's unlikely that adding another U.S. specialty channel would meet the criteria. If you want to see what a U.S. specialty channel would look like in Canada, see this thread about SpikeTV rebranding to Paramount Network.

The only times that the Supreme Court of Canada has overruled the CRTC is when they don't follow Canada's laws as passed by Canada's parliament, notably the Broadcasting Act.

"3 (1) It is hereby declared as the broadcasting policy for Canada that
(a) the Canadian broadcasting system shall be effectively owned and controlled by Canadians..."

I think pasting similar content over and over in every thread you can find is a futile effort.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts