Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Not neccessarily the first. The order of recieved headers is arbitary. The first would certainly be the most common ordering though.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
Why a pdf?
Adobe's PDF readers have security flaws and the software may not be updated as often by end users. To spammers and hackers, it's just another security hole to exploit. Access to hijacked PCs with high speed connections is worth big money on the black market. Spammers often don't use legal servers anymore. They pay hackers for access to hijacked PCs to send spam. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
56,403 Posts
From Today's Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070809.FASS09/TPStory/?query=E-greetings

Beware e-greetings

To judge by the amount of e-mail circulating through cyberspace claiming to be greeting cards sent by secret admirers, long-lost school chums or colleagues sending you their best wishes, it's like the Internet has turned into a delivery system for group hugs," writes Mike Wendland in The Detroit Free Press. "Don't fall for it. There's nothing at all friendly about this sudden greeting-card deluge. Instead, it's yet another effort by hackers and malicious virus-writers to infect your computer with junk ... Instead of a greeting, the link leads to what is known as the Storm Worm, a powerful snippet of code that installs on the unsuspecting user's computer and then begins to send out spam to everyone on the user's contact list.
Also - stock tips - and why PDFs.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20070809.RSPAMSCAM09/TPStory/?query=Inbox+hell

The spammed message was sent as a PDF file attachment, an increasingly popular means of spamming because it helps the message evade some anti-spam filters. It was spread quickly by hackers using "compromised" home PCs of unsuspecting e-mail recipients, Sophos said.
The Prime Time message alone created a 30-per-cent surge in global spam traffic over a 24-hour period, Sophos reported.

·
Premium Member
9,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So, I was going to e-mail Hendrik yesterday but I noticed that there was almost no spam coming in. I literally got less than a half dozen spam e-mails and there were only about a dozen more in my spambox. And so far today the total is about three. A week of increasing volumes of spam (well over 400 in all a couple of days ago) and then...nothing. Weird, but that's just fine with me!

My thanks to everyone for their suggestions and information. :D If I get hit again, I'll know how to proceed.

·
Super Moderator
11,117 Posts
Good to know. It could be that somebody else reported the spam and the server has been cleaned or patched. Check the few remaining ones to see if they are coming from the same IP range or if it is another spammer.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts