Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you know any more (in case i missed some or unfamiliar with some), PLEASE add 'em in the thread here.... Thanks.

Here are the ones i know:

1. SHAW (Cable)

2. MTS (DSL)

3. Primus (DSL)

4. 3Web (Cable)

------------

Any more?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Voi Networks, Terago Networks, Bell, WiBand, possibly a couple more.

I just hit up speedtest.net and looked at their world results, then narrowed it down to Winnipeg.

HTH :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
With Shaw now charging for extra data usage, I'm wondering if anyone has a more up to date list of providers or if anyone has used any of the providers (other than MTS or Shaw) and what their experience has been like.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
3web seems to be a reseller of Shaw, and the only improvement over Shaw is some of the bandwidth caps. Prices are compared to Shaw's "bundled" rates; Shaw HSI only is an extra $10/mo than quoted.

Shaw Lite 1M/256K 15GB/mo $25.00 +$2/extra GB usage
3Web Silver 1M/256K 13GB/mo $29.95

Shaw HSI 7.5M/512K 60GB/mo $37.00 +$2/extra GB usage
3Web Gold 7.5M/512K 75GB/mo $40.95

Shaw Xtreme 15M/1M 100GB/mo $47.00 +$1/extra GB usage
3Web Platinum 15M/1M 125GB/mo $46.95

Shaw Warp/Nitro 50M+ (no comparable 3Web offering)

3Web also makes no mention of overage fees. 3Web also offers a $5/mo discount (less $2.95/mo system access fee) off these rates if you have 3web Long Distance; however, Shaw phone does not allow you to change your LD provider.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
According to their web site, Primus only offers high speed (DSL) service when bundled with their home phone and LD service, and only on a contract (1-year term).

Lite bundle: local phone, no features, 1Mbps internet, $39.95/mo (1yr).
$34.95 equipment, $24.95 activation
[comparative MTS price: $57.05/mo for Light DSL and Home Phone]

Value bundle: worldwide phone, 3 features, 7Mbps internet, $74.95/mo (1yr)
features: call display, visual call waiting, voice mail
$34.95 equipment, $24.95 activation
[comparative MTS price: $85.95/mo for Lightning DSL and Total Home Phone]

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Terago and WiBand only offer commercial services in Winnipeg (WiBand offers residential in SE MB).

VOI networks offers symmetrical service in Winnipeg. Their service offerings are:

1M/1M 15 GB $25.95
5M/5M 75 GB $34.95
10M/10M 125GB $44.95
15M/15M 250GB $51.95

with a $5 bundle discount for phone subscribers. Looks like DSL, very little info on web site, no mention on site of contracts, install fees, overage fees, or the like.

·
Registered
224 Posts
So I've been calling a few of these companies.

3Web runs off of Shaw's cable network, but the sales rep I spoke to said that for now they will be subject to Shaw's UBB. If the CRTC, or who ever, officially over turn that decision this may change.

VOI runs a wireless network, but doesn't do service for an individual house.

The Primus website it only lists High Speed Dial Up.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
So I've been calling a few of these companies.

3Web runs off of Shaw's cable network, but the sales rep I spoke to said that for now they will be subject to Shaw's UBB. If the CRTC, or who ever, officially over turn that decision this may change.

VOI runs a wireless network, but doesn't do service for an individual house.

The Primus website it only lists High Speed Dial Up.
The primus web site actually does list DSL (1M and 7M) under "bundles" (for me anyway, winnipeg R3G area). The "internet" section only lists dial-up services.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
To be honest, other than dial-up or cellular, I've never heard of anyone having internet other than MTS or Shaw in Winnipeg. I've heard of Primus phone service in apartment blocks, but that's about it. The information I posted above was directly from their web sites.

For High-Speed internet, MTS and Shaw own all the lines anyway, and the service offerings of the resellers don't appear to be much different than MTS or Shaw.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ya.. 3-web is Shaw's reseller basically..
kinda runs under Shaw's wing :)

Currently i am on 9.95/m Shaw's High Speed promo (regular 47) .. for 6 months (they don't offer it any more.. - it was older offer i received in the Mail.. i think last spring or so.. which expired of course by now - but i got lucky.. after asking Supervisor .. CSR girl was able to honor it and gave it to me at 9.95 promo instead of 19.95 promo) :)
.. plus took for extra 5 bucks month upgrade to 15 m service (extreme) .. twice as fast as regular high-speed (usual price is 10 bucks more .. but they had a promo for 5 bucks)
So paying now 14.95 a months for Extreme.. (regular price 57 i guess)

if stay with them after promo is over.. cuz have cable tv .. - price will be reduced 10 dollars..
47 to 37
57 to 47
or something like that..

But i will more likely go back to MTS (after Shaw's promo will be over) .. if MTS was to offer me some promo.. (say 6 months or so)
... then back to Shaw (for the promo) etc etc .. - story of my life (for last few years) :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anybody actually used 3web's service in Winnipeg? Comments on quality, service?
Was considering them .. but up until now .. never gave them a try (actually .. was with them with their dial-up service .. LONG time ago.. lol.. - but that doesn't count by now)

Pretty sure, however, with 3-web you have to buy your own modem.. - which i guess somewhat a minus too (to a point).. considering that Shaw or MTS, both give you FREE modem.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Was considering them .. but up until now .. never gave them a try (actually .. was with them with their dial-up service .. LONG time ago.. lol.. - but that doesn't count by now)

Pretty sure, however, with 3-web you have to buy your own modem.. - which i guess somewhat a minus too (to a point).. considering that Shaw or MTS, both give you FREE modem.
Shaw charges $5/month for the modem if you don't buy it from them.

When I called 3web, he said I could use my existing modem from Shaw.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this is an old thread but I found it while googling and reading about it.

I have recently been pissed off at mts and their "customer service" and in a fit of hour long holds with "accidental" hang ups I switched to shaw.

I only have the internet connection and use netflix for tv/entertainment for my family and use Magicjack for home phone.

I am trying shaw out but I am assuming that I will be going over my data regularly.

If I can not keep it under the limit I am going to have to find another user without a cap or go back to the overpriced cable tv and home phone garbage.

In my search for internet that is not capped I came to have an idea that most people have not thought about.

I understand that MTS wireless has "unlimited" data on their smartphone plans. A good android based smart phone can use the wifi hot spot app and run all the houses internet through its wireless connection.

Even if MTS residential internet is capped you could probably look into a wireless device with this option and enjoy their unlimited data plans.

just a thought perhaps even a loophole. If MTS does not offer these plans anymore im sure there are plenty of contracts that you could takeover that are still on that plan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts