Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

681 - 700 of 714 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yep strong WSEE on Rf21 here tonight too.
WROC Rochester scheduled to transition to same channel at 12:05am according to thileir website.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Right now ION is still on RF23.

WBXZLD1 56.1 was coming in this morning for a while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm getting right now, with antenna pointed between erie & buffalo, a good signal on channel 34 but it had no data, no channel number. It's like the transmitter is on the air but the encoder is not running yet. Anyone else seeing this in the GTA ? WKBW is to use RF34 but not until phase 8.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I got WQHS RF34 virtual 61.x from Cleveland last night. That might be your RF34 guest. Not sure that has anything to do with the repack however. Just summer tropo.

·
Registered
622 Posts
@Satellite97, it is definitely WVTT, this is a continual problem for them. I've gotten it several times like that, also gotten it when they had nothing but a bouncing "Western Digital" logo on the screen and no channel ID (My tv still said WQHS but when I pointed it at Cleveland WQHS was coming in fine).

Funniest thing I've seen WVTT show was nothing but Beverly Hills public domain episodes with original commercials for cigarettes and things like the Kodak Brownie camera. They had zero advertising other than that kinda stuff so I don't know how they got away with it, I'm sure the people at the FCC wouldn't be too happy seeing Winston cigarette commercials.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's still there the phantom 34 signal with no ID but WVTT sounds like what it could be. WBXZ is coming in stronger then ever tonight. ION is booming in at 100% on RF24 but is also still on the old transmitter too on 23.

·
Registered
728 Posts
In my situation I seem to have lost WNYB since the change but gained WROC Rochester on UHF 21. With their new 1000MW transmitter, its been rock solid here since the changeover and Ive never ever had it this consistent, and hasnt yet dropped out. Even the other Rochester stations are still intermittent for me, like they always have been.

·
Registered
474 Posts
WROC was 1000KW before on rf45. Also their height and patter has not changed significantly, however I agree their signal is better. May be in part due to lower frequency which normally would require a little less power to provide same coverage.
Also your antenna may be more effective at receiving lower uhf. The cm4228hd is a good example of this.

·
Registered
728 Posts
WROC's pattern shows some red as receivable with an outdoor antenna on the fringe, about 8 miles from my location much closer than before,but it seems to be reaching me now consistently, hasn't dropped out yet. Mind you with 1000KW on such a low frequency is a lot of juice. I'll keep monitoring it. Hopefully it will stick around in the winter. In the past WXXI was always the most consistent but it didn't work in the winter. Right now WROC is rock solid, but i'm not receiving anything on the other Rochester stations. By the way, i'm using a 4228HD with a pre-amp.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It is hard to tell how things are right now with all the strong tropo going on. Will need to wait for a non-tropo day to really evaluate the repack.

My gut feeling though is that it seems a little crowded in the repack band and we aren’t done yet.

Many of the strong stations I got before during normal summer tropo are experiencing strong co-channel interference.

·
Registered
728 Posts
WROC still coming in strong this morning, so is WUHF and WXXI but weaker. WHEC is blocked from the strong signal of CKVR on the backside of my antenna, but once CKVR moves to RF9 I might get a better result. WHAM is nowhere in sight since they moved to RF9.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Many of the strong stations I got before during normal summer tropo are experiencing strong co-channel interference.
I've experienced this as well. One thing to keep in mind is ATSC 3.0 will vastly improve co-channel and adjacent channel interference, or at least that's what they are saying.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8360764

Sinclair, which owns WUTV, WNYO are planning on having ATSC 3.0 running by the end of next year in Buffalo, as well, Tegna, Nexstar, Univision etc are also going to upgrade.

Dongles to allow ATSC 3.0 reception are already being made, Geniatech have one but haven't made it available for purchase just yet. They showed a price of $59.99 US a while back, they have since deleted that, probably because they still have a ton of ATSC 1.0 dongles to sell.

https://www.geniatech.com/product/a683/

I can live with the interference, sadly I'm going to miss a couple Erie stations that were 24/7 but anticipate they'll be back in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When you say they will be back in the not too distant future, would you please explain. I would be very pleased if you are right however from what I see with future phase allotments the interference will likely only get worse both from Canadian and US broadcasters. Right now, I have lost Fox 66 out of Erie, and WJET out of Erie and unless they change the antenna configuration it is not likely I will receive these unless it is a rare event. Last night it was difficult to watch anything because of the numerous dropouts and pixelation I was getting even on channels that were normally solid out of Buffalo and my one remaining channel WSEE out of Erie.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I didn't exactly say they "will be back". My guess, and that's all it is, is that there will be more "sharing" of the existing bandwidth. What I mean is it's theoretically possible for 12-1080i channels to exist on an ATSC 3.0 transmitter. Every broadcaster wants as many eyes as possible to view their content and I suspect a few would like to piggyback on the capacity these first adopter ATSC 3.0 broadcasters will have, it also makes sense for the ATSC 3.0 broadcaster to sell/lease bandwidth they aren't using.

Currently there isn't much content from ABC, FOX, CBS, NBC, CW being shot in 4K, it's been mostly sports and "on demand" content which customers pay a premium for, that will also be available on ATSC 3.0.

This new standard is a game changer for broadcasters, by 2023, when broadcasters can shut off their ATSC 1.0 transmissions, I think we'll see a huge number specialized channels and services. The new service will give broadcasters the same return data as websites, who, what, when and where the content is being consumed rather than just hoping people are tuning in by measuring ad sales/ Nielson data, which isn't near as detailed as the ATSC 3.0 return data will be, all without costing the broadcaster.

One of the big problems we have in Southern Ontario is we get great TV out of the States while BDU's up here squat on their bandwidth. There is NO logical reason Rogers in Toronto can't broadcast all their channels on one frequency, same goes for Bell. But because they are anti-competitive by nature they will not give up this bandwidth which American broacasters would then capitalize on.

·
Registered
728 Posts
For some reception will get better, and for others it will get worse. I've lost WNYB but don't care, and i've gained WROC which is a fair trade-off, so to speak.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did anyone really care about WNYB? They were booming in on RF26 but now that they have gone to RF5 I can hardly lock on that signal anymore even with my big antenna. I'm going to miss Jim Baker selling all that end of the world survival crap.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks. I am not a tecky when it comes to OTA. I know enough to get me into trouble..LOL. Your explanation sounds good... so it sounds like I just have to wait ...until 2023...? I might make it that long LOL :) Satellite97, yes I used to watch 26-3 on occasion for their family oriented movies, rarely or never watched 26-1 or 26-2.

·
Registered
224 Posts
no you won't have to wait til 2023.astc 3 will start broadcasting in the usa as earlier as next year and they will be selling new tv with astc 3 in them and coverter boxes for astc 3 also.when you see that fox 29 is on a temporary antenna til they get there new antenna I believe that the new antenna will be to broadcast astc 3 of it because why would they spend all that money on a new antenna when the one there using works fine and would have to change in 3 and a half years anyway,also if you look it is owned by the Sinclair broadcasting group which is one of the groups that are on board with broadcasting in astc 3 and want to covert all there main transmitters to asct 3 by the end of next yeat.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I'm going to miss Jim Baker selling all that end of the world survival crap.
I will not miss this charlatan/mountebank. Fleecing the flock was the PTL "Ministry". As Frank Zappa once sang in "Jesus thinks you're a jerk":

There's an ugly little wasel 'bout three-foot nine
Face puffed up from cryin' 'n lyin'
'cause her sweet little hubby's
Suckin' prong part time
(in the name of the lord)

Get a clue, little shrew
Oh yeah, oh yeah
Jesus thinks you're a jerk
Did he really choose Tammy to do his work?

Robertson says that he's the one
Oh he sure is,
If armageddon
Is your idea of family fun,
An' he's got some planned for you!
(now, tell me that ain't true)

Now, what if Jimbo's slightly gay,
Will Pat let Jimbo get away?
Everything we've heard him say
Indicated that Jim must pay,
(and it just might hurt a bit)
But keep that money rollin' in,
'cause Pat and naughty Jimbo
Can't get enough of it

Perhaps it's their idea
Of an affirmative action plan
To give white trash a 'special break';
Well, they took those Jeezo-bucks and ran
To the bank! to the bank! to the bank! to the bank!
And every night we can hear them thank
Their buddy, up above
For sending down his love
(while you all smell the glove)

Jim and Pat should take a pole
(right up each saintly glory-hole),
With tar and feathers too --
Just like they'd love to do to you
('cause they think you are bad --
And they are very mad)
'cause some folks don't want prayer in school!
(we'd need an ark to survive the drool
Of micro-publicans, raised on hate,
And 'Jimbo-Jimbo' when they graduate)

Conviced they are 'the chosen ones' --
And all their parents carry guns,
And hold them cards in the n.r.a.
(with their fingers on the triggers
When they kneel and pray)

With a ku-klux muu-muu
In the back of the truck,
If you ain't born again,
They wanna mess you up, screamin':
'no abortion, no-siree!'
'life's too precious, can't you see!'
(what's that hangin' from the neighbor's tree?
Why, it looks like 'colored folks' to me --
Would they do that... seriously? )

Imagine if you will
A multi-millionaire television evangelist,
Saved from Korean combat duty by his father, a u.s. senator
Studied law --
But is not qualified to practice it
Father of a 'love child'
Who, in adulthood, hosts the remnants
Of papa's religious propaganda program
Claims not to be a 'faith healer',
But has, in the past,
Dealt stearnly with everything from hemorrhoids to hurricanes
Involved with funding for a 'secret war' in central America
Claiming Ronald Reagan and Oliver North as close friends
Involved in suspicous 'tax-avoidance schemes',
(under investigation for 16 months by the i.r.s.)
Claims to be a man of god;
Currently seeking the United States Presidency,
Hoping we will all follow him into --
The twilight zone

What if Pat gets in the white house,
And suddenly --
The rights of 'certain people disappear
Mysteriously?
Now, wouldn't that sort of qualify
As an American tragedy?
(especially if he covers it up, sayin'
"Jesus told it to me!")

I hope we never see that day,
In the land of the free --
Or someday will we?
Will we?

And if you don't know by now,
The truth of what I'm tellin' you,
Then, surely I have failed somehow --
And Jesus will think I'm a jerk, just like you --
If you let those tv preachers
Make a monkey out of you!

I said:
"Jesus will think you're a jerk"
And it would be true!
There's an old rugged cross
In the land of cotton --
It's still burnin' on somebody's lawn
And it still smells rotten
Jim and Tammy!
Oh, baby!
You gotta go!
You really got to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zynFE8GdGJ4

Apologies for such a long post but this early 80's tune is even more relevant in the current political climate.

I am happy some of these begcasters took the bucks to go to low VHF, I will be even happier if the FCC rules they are no longer "non-profits" based on their political propaganda which is in violation of FCC rules but given the politics in the US I have little hope anything will change regardless of which party gets in.

681 - 700 of 714 Posts