Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

661 - 680 of 713 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
ion buffalo is coming in strong on there new rf 24 here in Hamilton mountain.i never received this channel this late in the morning so maybe its a new all the time station

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes ION is now booming into the GTA this morning on RF24. With increased power from a new transmitter and tower located closer to Buffalo.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
CIII-DT-41 uses virtual channel 41. CKVP-DT uses virtual channel 42. Just because it's the same as the RF channel, doesn't mean they're not using one.

- Trip
Sure, I guess I should have chosen my words more carefully.

What I was trying to say that in cases like CITS Hamilton the other day, any references to "36" are gone (personally, I'm happy for that one in particular as it avoids real/virtual channel confusion with the new WIVB/WNLO RF36 Tx and there is no existing virtual 14.1 in the area). Also when Omni2 Toronto moved from RF51/virtual 69.1 to RF40, then just stuck with 40.1 and abandoned "69" (I was also happy with this one because there was no virtual 40.1 in the area).

My point is I hope that Bell and Corus DON'T do this real channel = virtual channel thing for CTV2 Fonthill and Global Toronto. Hopefully CTV2 Fonthill will remain as 42.1 on their new RF channel and Global Toronto will remain 41.1 on theirs.

Bell did retain 9.1 as virtual for CFTO on its move to RF8 so I suppose that's a good sign.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
"Yes they are shutting down the Analog Transmitter, but putting a HD in its place, its also going to be 26 (Which was Windsor CTV2) I wonder if they will be using any of that equipment"

Bell applied in March to shut down Oil Springs outright:

https://blog.fagstein.com/2019/03/25/28-more-ctv-transmitters-cut/

IE; Not converting it. Hence our mutual confusion.
They applied to shutdown 27 more repeaters including many in Ontario
And it was explicitly mentioned in the July 30 announcement (Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2019-268)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I hope that was a test for the ion buffalo station because at 2pm it went from 100% signal strength to zero.hopefully we will find out after august 2nd

·
Registered
741 Posts
Guess ION was testing today. My TV and HDHomerun was giving me two sets of ION on RF23 and RF24. As of 2:33pm a Homerun scan is just showing up on the original RF23.

·
Registered
49 Posts
@Satellite97, the only reason you picked up WBXZ is the tropo from Buffalo was strong enough to over ride Global, happens often during the summer evenings.
Sure the tropo is part of it but I could never get WBXZ before at all due to the strong signal from global I was receiving before on RF17. Now that it's gone WBXZ is booming in for me.. watching throwback TV now LOL!

I'm using a very directional CM3671 and it is a tight aim to get WBXZ.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does the August 2nd deadline for phase 4 mean
They have until midnight tonight or tomorrow night?
I was thinking it all had to be done tonight, but I see WWTI Watertown is transitioning tomorrow at 9am.

·
Registered
208 Posts
as long as they move to there new rf before the midnight strikes on aug 2nd there ok.i supect that global 41 move to rf17 and paris global 6 move to 23 will be done sometime in the day time tomorrow

·
Registered
595 Posts
@Satellite97, I didn't mean to sound like a jerk, I wasn't aware Global Paris were broadcasting at low power while trying out their new Freq (which is why you snagged it), I live ten miles as the crow flies from that transmitter and even at low power it showed as +33dB on my tv.

My apologies and nice snag, I would LOVE to grab that station!

·
Registered
208 Posts
since the paris rf17 went to low power I haven't got a sniff of global on there at all.thinking paris and the buffalo channel are cancelling each other out

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Erie WSEE 35.1, RF 21, is booming in here at the moment. I think RF 21 is their new channel assignment.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
been seeing that here in Buffalo on and off with ducting for a week or two now.
Possibly longer, don't think I had my logs running when it first showed up to be certain exactly when.
Edit: found the timestamp for RF 21. first appeared at my house here:

2019-06-06 20:47:19 EDT
1: 35.1 WSEE-DT
2: 35.2 CW
3: 35.3 ENN+
4: 35.4 H&I
tsid=0x099D

·
Registered
208 Posts
been getting 35 cbs from erie quite often for about 3 to 4 hours after the sun goes down ever since they changed there rf from rf 16 to rf21.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Erie WSEE 35.1, RF 21, is booming in here at the moment. I think RF 21 is their new channel assignment.
I was just looking for ION on RF24 and am getting a very strong signal from WJET on that channel. Also getting WSEE and channel 12 and 22 from Erie here in Mississauga.

661 - 680 of 713 Posts