Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

641 - 660 of 714 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cits-london

Hi, I was told that the coverage pattern might change a little, as they are using the TVO Antenna instead of their own. I tested it out in Strathroy with the Antenna configuration, last Friday and the RF14 had no signal strength, but when I tried it on RF19 it had good signal strength. So you should notice a difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well they moved from Grand Island about 50 km south to a another tower located in Colden, NY.

WUTV is the big winner here for GTA viewers with increased power and a non-directional pattern !
Since the change today I also cannot pull in WIVB, not at all!

Before they changed to ch32 (a year or so ago), WIVB was 99% reliable.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #644
They're on a temporary antenna about 2/3 of the way up the tower. It'll improve further once they move it to the top.

- Trip

·
Registered
744 Posts
Dealing with a summer cold and no sleep so my mental focus is a bit off and I might have missed the post, but is there an easy to read list that shows the dates for the repack moves in Buffalo/GTA?

I know we had the three channel move yesterday but I thought I read somewhere that WNYO and WPXJ were moving soon. Or maybe that was the cough syrup talking.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dealing with a summer cold and no sleep so my mental focus is a bit off and I might have missed the post, but is there an easy to read list that shows the dates for the repack moves in Buffalo/GTA?

I know we had the three channel move yesterday but I thought I read somewhere that WNYO and WPXJ were moving soon. Or maybe that was the cough syrup talking.

Thanks.
It's being done in phases. We're in phase 4 right now which comes to an end August 2nd. WPXJ is included in phase 4 so they will be switching in the next few days. This is one to look out for as they are not just changing from channel RF23 to RF24 but they are also moving to a new tower closer to Buffalo and with an increased power.. this will make receiving them from Toronto much more reliable.

https://www.rabbitears.info/phasemap.php?maptype=s&phase=4

FCC phase dates https://blog.solidsignal.com/tutorials/when-will-your-area-be-affected-by-the-fcc-repack/

·
Registered
227 Posts
the reason wpxj hasn't moved to rf 24 is because they have to wait for wjet erie to move from rf24 to rf 28 on august 2nd

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Looking ahead to the 2020 changes, this is going to be interesting in the Toronto/Hamilton/Niagara/Buffalo region.

1) CKVP Fonthill does not currently use a virtual channel number, and will move from 42 to 29, and WUTV is already using 29.1 in the area
2) Global Toronto does not currently use a virtual channel number, and will move from 41 to 17, and WNED is already using 17.1 in the area

I don't think the use of virtual channel numbers in regulated anywhere (correct me if I'm wrong) so we'll need to rely on Bell and Corus to play nice or have lots of confusion. Some tuners don't handle more than 1 of the same channel number that well.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Toronto Global displays as channel 41.1 on my Samsung, my Dynex and the converter box. So is it the receiving device that assigns the extra digit?

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
The broadcaster assigns the digit after the decimal. That's used to identify the sub-channels. Canadian channels typically have just one sub-channel assigned to '.1'. There can be 2, 3, 4 or more subchannels with ATSC. A lot of US broadcasters have more than one sub-channel.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Global Toronto has been on the channel 41 frequency since it launched in analog and converted to digital. So by it using 41.1 is reflective of it's original channel. Once it moves to the frequency of channel 17 it will be the first time it would be possible to use a virtual channel number ie 41.1 It remains to be seen if the will keep the 41.1 designation. 3.1 would be interesting to reflect it's traditional cable placement.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #654
CIII-DT-41 uses virtual channel 41. CKVP-DT uses virtual channel 42. Just because it's the same as the RF channel, doesn't mean they're not using one.

- Trip

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Spot on Trip. And that is also why WNED 43-10 which carries a WNED-FM audio program doesn't remap to say 17-4, because it is NOT in the TVCT (terrestrial virtual channel table).

·
Registered
49 Posts
global paris has moved to rf 23 today so no ion tv for Hamilton til they move to rf24 on august 2nd
Now that Global Paris has left RF17 I'm able to, for the first time, pick up WBXZ in Mississauga. WBXZ is an interesting one as its got 12 channels in its mux. WBXZ is obviously running a stat mux encoder.. the video quality is surprisingly quite good for having so many channels.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
You get Global Paris and Global CN tower from the same location???
What a waste of coverage.... Why do they wanna cover the same area with two transmitters?

·
Registered
626 Posts
@majortom, there is a lot of duplicate coverage in Ontario, I get both City Woodstock and City Toronto 24/7/365 as well as Global Paris and Toronto.

Heans is WRONG, Global Paris hasn't changed frequencies yet. Global Paris is still on rf17 as I'm getting Ion Buffalo on rf23 and WJET on rf24. Orbot's tuners can be found here:
https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/one_tuner_map/1067A7DF/tuner0 and here:https://rabbitears.info/tvdx/one_tuner_map/1067A183/tuner0

They are also showing Global on rf17.
@Satellite97, the only reason you picked up WBXZ is the tropo from Buffalo was strong enough to over ride Global, happens often during the summer evenings.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It looks like CIII Paris was just testing yesterday on rf23, they were on both rf17 at low-power and rf23 at full-power between 3-5:30ish.

641 - 660 of 714 Posts