Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've had my home theatre setup running just fine for the last 4 years - with no major additions or changes. All of a sudden during a bluray last week, my PS3 (BR player) suddenly decided it will no longer read any media. It was obvious the optical drive had failed, so I bought a replacement PS3 and sent the old one in to be serviced. Upon disconnecting the old PS3 and replacing the connections with the new PS3 (via HDMI) I noticed that I had inadvertantly pulled the receiver's HDMI out#1 to my projector - so thinking nothing of it, I plugged it back in and turned everything on. Ah! I get no picture on my projector. I try other sources such as our Fibe-TV HD-PVR also connected via HDMI and it doesn't show up on the projector. I do hear the TV station though, but it cuts out every 5-10sec or so and re-establishes the sound, but I still get no picture. Nothing including the receiver's wallpaper or GUI menu outputs to my projector via HDMI. So I connect the components up to the projector and I can see my receiver's wallpaper and GUI screens - but still nothing via HDMI into the receiver (I think digital HDMI can only be output via HDMI - not component anyways). The sound doesn't cut out via component from the Fibe-TV receiver though. This leads me to believe there is something wrong with the HDMI output of the Yamaha receiver, I tried both HDMI Out #1 and #2 and still no joy. I tried to reset all parameters using the Advanced setup but still no joy. Did I fry something when I disconnected and re-connected HDMI with the devices powered on? Is it an error in HDCP handshaking with my projector (Panasonic PT-AE2000)? I even tried another HDMI cable to my projector and still no joy. I was thinking I would move it upstairs tomorrow morning (its 2:30am and I've been at this for 5hrs already) to my plasma to see if it would output the GUI menu to that screen to make sure its not something with my projector's HDMI inputs (when I switch to components, I can see my receiver's wallpaper and menus). I don't know what to do now short of calling Yamaha or taking time off work to bring it into their service centre.

Any tips and advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Yep, I connected my Fibe-TV HDPVR directly to my FP using the same original cable and I got picture - so it's not the projector nor the cable. So it seems like I may have fried something in my Amp when I re-plugged the fallen HDMI cable - I don't think I knew that you weren't supposed disconnect and reconnect while powered on. I tend to try to avoid powering on cycles since I got my projector as it takes so long for the bulb to cool down and turn on again.

I think I'll try one more thing to bring the amp upstairs to our plasma to see if it will output to that as a double check to make sure it's a amp problem.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
If the AVR works upstairs via HDMI, then it may be an issue with the AVR pushing out enough signal to overcome the signal loss via the (I assume) longer HDMI cable to the FP - different devices can put out different signal strength. If the AVR works upstairs, try a short HDMI cable from the AVR to the FP. What is the current length of the HDMI cable to the FP and what gauge is it? It may be that you have a poor connection at one end or another - try unplugging and replugging both ends a few times to ensure a good electrical connection. Make sure the cable doesn't "drop down" to lose the connection - sometimes the cable needs support at both ends to maintain a proper connection. Also make sure you wait long enough for the handshake to take place between the two devices - this can often take many seconds.

We always recommend that all devices are turned off when making/breaking connections. Often you can get away with it if you don't, but sometimes you do not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boy do I feel stupid! As I was un-hooking the rats nest of wires from behind the Receiver and pulled it out to test it upstairs, I thought I might as well get a good look into the actual HDMI socket itself. And low-and-behold, I bent one of the pins right back and chipped a corner of the center PCB board that holds the contact connectors! I never new how fragile the HDMI connectors are. I've always hated them, if you a cable of any weight (22 guage) - the stiffness of the cable itself always works against the flimsy connector - I never felt it feels secure when plugged in. Anyways to make a long story short, I plugged it into the second HDMI Out#2 and re-mapped the output (selected Control Monitor to output to HDMI #2) and it all worked again. I believe I was pretty careful plugging it in, but must of somehow bent one of the pins - unfortunately I don't think I can bend it back as its jammed to the back of the socket, plus the PCB board where the contact lays is chipped. Oh well, I doubt I'll ever use this amp with two output monitors anyways.

So I ended up spending the better part of the day tidying up all my wires and re-connecting everything as well as re-programming the receiver inputs and re-calibrating all the speakers (as I did a factory reset on the receiver) - argh! Thanks for all the help 57.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts