Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just bought the Yamaha RX-v3900 and would appreciate some help to get things figured out.

here are some questions:

1. is there a way to stream movies from my PC through the yamaha?
2. in te upconversion/upscalling, the maximum option it allows me is 1080i, the 1080p is always grayd out, why is that?

thank you so much for your hel.

cheers,

Sam

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Need more information on the connections you're using, outputs on your computer, how you're connecting your receiver to the TV, does the TV receive 1080p? Off the top of my head, you might need to make sure you're running HDMI to the TV before you're able to upscale to 1080p.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi, thanks for your quick response.

I am connecting the yamaha receiver to the Sony LCD via HDMI
I am connetion my Dreambox DV 600 to the Yamaha via S-Video
I am connection my PS3 which I use as a BlueRay to the receiver via HDMI

thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi, anyone else can help please? seems the earlier responder has forgotten all about me.

cheers,

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
I have the same receiver. There is no way (that I know of) to directly stream movies from your PC to the Yamaha and on to the tv. You would need a box of some sort in between your PC and the Yammie such as the Apple TV, Roku, WDTV, etc.

What input are you trying to up convert? The manual explains in pretty good detail on the options available with this option.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe incoming HDMI signals are left unconverted by the AVR. Incoming analogue signals (composite video for example) would be transcoded and converted to whatever you desire - say 1080P. If analogue signals cannot be converted to 1080P, then there may be a limitation in the display - it doesn't handle 1080P, or there may even be an issue with the HDMI cable (not good enough for 1080P).

Here's the FAQ on HDMI issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

Useful post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Actually incoming HDMI signals can be upconverted to 1080p as well.

Like I said...I upconvert everything to 1080p.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, I do have a high quality HDMI cable...so what is left is really the possibility that the LCD might not accepts 1080P. anyone knows if the Sony Bravia 40" model # KDL-V40A10 supports 1080P?

my other question is :

I bought this Yamaha and am so excited about using it...however I had not a chance to purchase my Speakers yet (any suggestion is apprecaited).

is there anyway I can send the sound from the Yamaha Rx-V3900 to a sony dream system model DAV-C900

thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can't stream PC movies directly to the Yamaha RX-V3900 per se, but you can certainly stream PC movies to the PS3 via ethernet - I use PS3 Media Server on my PC desktop end to serve the media files to the PS3 which pass along the signal to the Yamaha Receiver to display on your TV and output the audio.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup, it looks like the max resolution on your TV is 1080i, so that's why 1080p is "greyed out."

I would also recommend with respect to streaming media from your PC, just as wm cheng said, hooking up to something like the PS3, or purchasing a newer Blu-ray player that has "dlna" streaming capabilities with your PC (and it can't just be photo streaming, obviously).

And finally, yes, just as QuickSilver said, you owe it to yourself to get decent speakers for your receiver. Plastic, hollow boxes are generally NEVER the way you want to go when it comes to speakers. There are lots of other brands out there, including budget brands, that will blow "dream systems" out of the water and beyond the beach!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts