Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm setting up my parents with a new TV, HT and HD receiver for Christmas.
TV is a Samsung 55" (i forget the model)
HT is a Samsung HT-Q70
Receiver is SA Explorer 8300HD (Videotron if it matters)

I got a optical cable (S/PDIF) for sound to the HT and i'm using an HDMI cable to the TV.

It works, but i can't help but notice that when i listen to TV receiver, the sound is not loud at all. The HT is set at maximum volume, but the sound is set to a comfortable level with no room to make it louder. My TV receiver is set to Digital in the Audio output setting.

However, when using the built-in DVD function of the HT, obviously the sound works fine and does not need to be anywhere near the maximum.

Out of desperation and curiosity, i tried to pass the audio through the TV instead. So i have the HDMI going to the TV and the Digital Optical cable from the TV to the HT. I get the same result of faint sound, but i also noticed that my TV will not allow me to change the audio from PCM to Dolby Digital.

The only way i can get decent sound from the TV receiver is to use 3 of the 5 speakers.

Help!

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
Most TVs do not pass DD5.1 signals, as discussed in the following FAQ (bolded part)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Some items do have different levels than others. HTiB systems (especially inexpensive ones) do not really have much available power - they are often "over rated" in terms of the power output. One option may be to go into the HTiB speaker setup and boost all of the speaker levels a few dB, remembering to keep the speakers so that one is not louder than the other. How large is the room?

Useful post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the useful links.

The room is fairly large, it's an open concept dining room/living room. I would say it's about 12'x20' with the TV roughly in the center of the 20' wall.

So my problem is not necesarily with the sound entering the HTiB but rather the sound coming out of the speakers, correct? Is there not another type of connection i could use (other than Digital Optical) to use all 5 speakers and get louder output from the speakers?

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The digital input should use all 5 speakers if you set up the HTiB properly and assuming the programming has surround sound encoded within it. You would set the HTiB to invoke Dolby Pro Logic for any incoming DD2.0 signals and the HTiB would automatically go to Dolby Digital 5.1 if such a signal were being received. You may have it currently set to "stereo" for DD2.0 signals, which would send sound out the LF & RF speakers only (and perhaps the sub)? Or perhaps the speakers are not properly configured/connected? Have you run the test tones of the HTiB and have you increased their volume levels (all of them equally for example?) You should hear sound from all the speakers, they should be of similar volume, and they should be in the proper location.

A small, inexpensive HTiB is certainly not going to overwhelm a room that large, although you should be able to get adequate sound. You could try the analogue audio (red/white) connections from the PVR, however, this would be two-channel audio and would not be DD2.0 or DD5.1, which are better formats. The analogue outs are also affected by the audio settings in the PVR, which should likely be set to "Narrow" and "Fixed" to get the loudest audio... If this helps with the volume level, you could use this for non-critical listening and then chose the digital input for DD5.1 programming.

Of course the real solution is a proper AVR and 5.1 speakers, but even that requires a proper setup/optimization.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76082 AVR features.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts