20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following devices and need some help in setting them up please:

1. XBOX 360
2. Sony TV - KLV40s200A
3. DVD Player - Pioneer DV-400V
4. AV Receiver - Yamaha HTR5960

I have only one HDMI port on the TV.

I guess I can connect the xbox to the TV HDMI. What about audio?

DVD - I can connect component from TV to DVD. And audio?

What is the best setup? Should all Video go to the TV and all Audio go to the receiver and then disable the TV speakers?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
1. XBOX 360 - You can use HDMI to the TV and Optical to the Receiver

2. Sony TV - KLV40s200A

3. DVD Player - Pioneer DV-400V - Component to TV or Receiver (Up to U) Optical to the Receiver

4. AV Receiver - Yamaha HTR5960

This assumes you want all audio going through your Receiver.
If the 360 has component then you could route all the video and audio to the receiver and then to the TV with component.

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
my response is taking in some assumption here .. (for example, you have a standard def. (480i) DVD player without up scaling (no HDMI sounds like), Xbox audio outputs..etc)

sure .. hooking HDMI into the TV will work. Regarding audio for Xbox .. I think they have optical out ? If yes, then into the AVR's optical in, there should be 3-4 optical "inputs" on the AVR. OR ..since HDMI is audio and video ... if you have a set of audio "out" on the TV .. run your L/R from the audio out on the LCD .. into the L/R audio "in" (fronts) of the AVR .. than run Dolby Pro Logic II (assuming your have > 2 channel speaker setup) ...maybe that's being redundant ... does it really matter ? : )

DPL II processes any high quality stereo signal source into five separate full frequency channels (right front, center, left front, right rear and left rear). Dolby Pro Logic II also decodes 5 channels from stereo signals encoded in traditional four-channel Dolby Surround.
You can connect DVD into the LCD. If your DVD player (assumption) has coax out .. I would run digital coax into the AVR, but that's me (given I have no optical cable) ..

Try it out .. assorted combination. Maybe it will be more "convenient" to run everything through the AVR .. video and audio (does Xbox have component video?)... and use the HTR's remote.

Some (users) connect direct to LCD, some don't .. others PCM audio .. others don't (options, preference will vary - all function properly) ... in the end, "you" should try it out. any hiccups, issues .. touch base with DHC again. (and anytime really)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts