Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I just moved and have new equipment. I have an LG OLED tv, A Samsung Soundbar and A Home Hub 3000. I cannot get the harmony remote to control the sound from the soundbar. I also can't change channels. I thought I set it up ok. The remote is a Harmony companion.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Don

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
1. Download the latest version of the MyHarmony app or software.
2. Create new devices. Be sure to include both the make and model number of each device. If the device limit is reached, delete those no longer needed.
3. Create new activities using the new devices.
4. If any keys don't work correctly then learn the keys from the original device remote and assign them instead.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the hub set up. I think the issue was using optical which doesn't go both ways but I tried switching to the HDMI Arc inputs and still didn't work. Oh well 2 remotes I guess.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
In any event, the new devices will need to be set up as well as new or reconfigured activities to control them. The new activity setup will usually offer to use the soundbar for sound and then it should work as expected. Selecting the device used for changing channels should also be in the setup wizard. Checking the activity setup should start the setup wizard as well.

Using the TV remote to control the soundbar volume could work if CEC and ARC over HDMI are setup correctly and both components support it. I've always found CEC and ARC to be more of a nuisance due to incompatibilities and unwanted side effects when using activity based universal remotes.

I think the issue was using optical which doesn't go both ways
I've never heard of an optical cable that isn't bidirectional. Using the wrong connectors for audio in/out could cause issues but it sounds like the audio works, there just isn't any volume control.

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts
I've never heard of an optical cable that isn't bidirectional.
I believe he was talking about an ARC-type quality, not the fact that you can plug either end into the input or output.

P.S. I've always found it easier to start anew with the Harmony wizard, rather than trying to troubleshoot existing programming. It only takes a few minutes once you've got all the makes/models available.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
I agree that starting with fresh device definitions for new devices and a new activity is often the best approach. That's why I suggested it. I've replaced one device with some success but results can be unsatisfactory unless all activity and key assignments are checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts