Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Help Wi-fi str prob -LinksysWRT160N

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  spun14 
#1 ·
Hello all

I have a small wi-fi problem here, and though my Linksys WRT160n router is old router. It's been working well for many years. (the odd hickup :p )

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-ca/support/routers/WRT160N/download

--Current setting--
Firmware Version: v3.0.03 build 003Jun 15, 2010
Security Mode: WPas2 personal
Encryption: Tkip or Aes
Network Name (SSID): (( can not tell you :p )
Channel Width: Auto 20 or 40mhz
Channel: Auto
(( Yes it using most current upto date firmware from Linksys site.. I wish they update it again, a 2012 vers ))
---

My problem is, just started today, After getting home and I had my laptop with me. sat down on soft and plug my Asus laptop in to let charge, while it connected and I notice I was getting only 3 bars for Wifi connection.. And I am thinking " What the heck?? "

My house/living room fairly small, The tv stand where everything sit including my Linksys router which is sitting on higher box behind my LG tv up mid-way has not been touch in good 6-9 month and I have not needed to change the setting in very long time its been very stable in till today..

How can my wi-fi signal be dropping down 3-2 bars with only be 10 feet from the router.

I did have set for Mix for Wireless G and N, Cuz there times my sis has came over visit had her laptop/Iphone and wanted to connect to check mail what not. I have tried switching to Full N mode.
Still seems to reporting on my laptop as 3 bars. I hope router not dying?

There was one thing I did notice though when did refresh on wi-fi. Usually there 6-7 that my laptop at lest see. Today it only see 2... Mine Linksys router and of course the one down stairs I help setup for her.
(Rents downstairs basement )

Q1) Is there someway to see what channels are being used in around my area so I can hopefully used a channel that not being used. Is there some program that just scans to see what Wifi it see and what channel they using.? I thought there was way within win 7 but I forget how..

Q2) Could my router be dying?

If anybody has any suggestion please, It's been great router but I would not doubt if is starting to die.. I do have back up one, but much older D-Link.

See less See more
#2 ·
You may be getting interference from a neighbour on the same channel. Try changing it from auto to 1 and test. Repeat changing to 6, then 11.
Auto should do this on its own, but who knows. It's an easy test.

Also, you may be looking in the wrong spot for problems - could be the laptop:

could be a loose antenna cable on the laptop - but that's not a fun one as it's buried deep.

You can us an app like inssider to scan networks, but if the problem is the laptop card, that won't meant much.

#4 ·
Had the same router for a long time and started experiencing the same issues as you, low strength as well as a lot of drop outs of signal. Tried just about every suggestion out there and nothing resolved the issue. The problems really started to be an issue when more ppl around me started to install wireless routers or going with wireless cable modems.

Anyways, upgraded to a newer model and don't have an issue anymore. Could just be that it can't handle interference or it is just a hardware problem with the router. If you search the linksys site you'll find lots of ppl with the same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.