Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can anyone confirm if XM USA and XM Canada still use the same satellite. I am in SK and wondering if I can get a signal in my car with a US account. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New to this forum, thanks in advance for your help.

I am in Canada, i just purchased an xm adapter for my car off eBay and will be setting it up in the next few days.

I called XM USA to inquire about setting up my box.. i lied and said i was American, live in the states but would mentioned i would in Canada from time to time. I asked the CSR if i would still get servicein Canada and she had to put me on hold to check. She came back and told me in order to listen in Canada i will need to register with XM Canada.. I insisted that I am American and would be in the US the majoirty of the year.

Long story short, if i can sign up for XM US will i get full coverage in Canada (Montreal)?
Yes! I have been with Sirius XM Since 2006 living in Canada and i have gotten the American signal everywhere in Canada.(it cuts out a bit when I drive to Yellowknife, but that is way further north than Montreal). Be aware that you will not be able to access the app on your phone and have it streaming as it is geo blocked. Currently I am trying to get my grandfathered lifetime subscription transferred to Canadian so I can utilize the apple app streaming features, but that is neither here nor there! All you need to do is set up a fake american address, as I did when I set up mine.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
It was a few years ago but I never had any issues with a US XM or SiriusXM in Canada. They don't know where you are when receiving the satellite signal. The Android app was not a big issue either. The app store refused to download the US app because I was in Canada. Turned off location services and used an internet proxy for a US city. Then it magically allowed installation of the US app.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts