Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I purchased a HTIB, it is an Lg model #LH-T750TB, I now need to upgrade a a couple reasons (multizone required, and want receiver without fans) and want better sound. My budget is relatively limited so I have been searching all over for good deals, when I came across the JAMO S426HCS3 set of speakers at COSTCO for 299.99, curiosity more than anything made me buy them. I have always thought JAMO made relatively good speakers, for non audiphile's like myself, and I figured that coupled with a good receiver they should sound good, and I will add a subwoofer. Here is where I need help, I don't have the money for the receiver I want right now, but I want to test run the speakers and see if there worth keeping or if I should return them to COSTCO. Can I swap out the speakers from my Lg HTIB with the JAMO's and have a listen? Both the LG and the JAMO's have a 6ohm impedance, does this mean I can do it? And I do know the quality of the AMP will make a difference in the sound, I will also give them a run on my Vintage Marrantz 2252b. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
233 Posts
Nominally the same impedance, so nominally speaking, you're cleared for take off. Just don't crank the amp too loudly.

I used "nominally" since some speakers dip below their nominal impedance in certain situations.

·
Registered
375 Posts
^^Cause clipping and cook the tweeters on the speakers.

They make nice paperweights at that point.

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
HTiBs don't typically have very much power output and when you crank the volume, the distortion level rises quite quickly and this distortion can damage the speakers. More speakers are damaged by low power/high distortion than by high power/low distortion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts