·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!

We have the following set-up:

AV Receiver - Yamaha HTR-5960
TV - Sony KLV-40S200A
Speakers - Polk Audio Home Theater Speaker System (RM6750) - 2 rears, 2 fronts, centre and sub
Remote - Harmony 520

Issues:

When I user the tuner (radio) feature on the receiver, all speakers work great.

When I select watch TV, only the front left, rear left and centre speaker work.

What am I doing wrong? What "program" should I be using on the receiver?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Sounds like you may have the speakers wired incorrectly. Use the test tones with the AVR to check that the speakers are connected properly - the speaker test tones usually go in a circle from LF to C to RF to RS to LS to sub. You may have the surround speakers incorrectly connected to the "surround back" connection instead of the "surround" connections if you're only using 5.1 speakers on this 7.1 AVR.

Are you using the TV's internal tuner as the source of your "TV" signal, or do you have a STB of some kind (Cable, Sat, etc?) If you're using OTA and the internal tuner, I assume you're connected via the optical cable from the TV to the AVR. For the DD5.1 channels, you should be getting DD5.1 audio on the AVR. See the following on DD5.1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Most people use Dolby Pro Logic II if listening to two-channel sources. If you're hearing all the speakers on the AVR's tuner, you may be using the 5-7 ch stereo DSP, which would send signals to all the speakers, even if they're incorrectly connected (and/or incorrectly set up in the setup menu for the AVR).

Here's a post useful for those new to this stuff - Optimization of your equipment, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Sounds like the left rear and right front speaker connections might be swapped at the amp. It could also be an mix-up in TV to AVR analog connections (at the AVR) but that is less likely. As 57 said use the AVR test tone to check for correct speaker operation. If no AVR test tones are available, a Digital Video Essentials setup disc will do the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You must be right.

I have my front speakers connected to front A.

My rear speakers are connected to surround back.

My centre is connected to centre.

Sub to sub.

Which one is wrong?

Just tried again... ran auto setup and it went ok with warning 1.

When playing tuner, it works fine - all speakers produce sound.

When watching TV - only one speaker works

When playing xbox - only one speaker works :(

so frustrating.... :(

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
As mentioned in the first paragraph of post 2, your surround (rear) speakers should be connected to "surround", not "surround back", However, that may not be the only thing that's wrong since in post 1 you say you get sound from the left-rear. Check all your connections to make sure they go to the correct speakers and make sure your polarity is correct too - positive to positive, negative to negative.

From the specs, this AVR has YPAO. You should run that as it would help detect any faults and properly balance the speakers for volume and distance.

For sound from the TV's tuner via the optical connection, you should get DD2.0 from the SD channels and DD5.1 from most of the HD channels.

For sound from the XBox, you should get DD5.1 from material that is DD5.1

When you receive DD2.0, you should probably be on "Dolby Pro Logic II" and it doesn't sound like you are.

When watching TV - only one speaker works

When playing xbox - only one speaker works
Which speaker? That's not what you said in post 1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have rewired.

I have my front speakers connected to front A.

My rear speakers are connected to surround.

My centre is connected to centre.

Sub to sub.

Tuner - All speakers work.

TV only FL works in surround std program. If I change it to 7 channel stereo - 3 speakers work RL, FL and Centre!

What gives?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Several possibilities:

The speakers could still be connected incorrectly - when you run the test tones do the tones go in the circle that I mentioned in post 2?

The AVR may be configured incorrectly for your setup, although I've never heard of the problem you have outside of improper connections. Can you do a "reset" of this AVR to factory defaults - usually outlined in the operating manual somewhere.

Your center speaker terminal may be connected to the FL speaker in error.

Press the "Speaker A" button on the front left of the AVR - you may have turned off your FL & FR speakers by mistake.

·
Registered
67 Posts
How are your Xbox/TV/STB connected to the receiver?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some more background info.

We moved houses 4 weeks ago. While the new house was being constructed, I ran speaker wires, Network wires and Cable to all rooms.

I don't believe we had this issue at the old house. However, all the speakers were at the front as we did not have space for rear. So it could have not been working all these years.

When I get home tonight, I will reset the AVR to factory settings.

When I ran YPAO, all speakers made the test tones in a circle as you had described.

I will confirm the connection of TV, XBOX and DVD player tonight as well.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
TV only FL works in surround std program. If I change it to 7 channel stereo - 3 speakers work RL, FL and Centre!
If you're using analogue audio cables (red/white), perhaps the right cable isn't connected well/correctly since you're only getting left side audio? You should switch to optical/coaxial if you are. Here's the FAQ on Cables/Connections.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what I have done this evening.

I have reset the AVR to factory settings.

I ran YPAO and all speakers made tones.

Here are how my devices are connected and that might be the issue :(

TV- audio Out (Var/Fix) has two cables, red and white. These are connected to the AVR at VCR Audio.

DVD Player - connected to the TV via component cables. DVD digital out is connected to AVR at digital input.

Xbox - Is connected to TV via HDMI to HDMI in. Xbox is also connected to AVR DVR Audio input.

Speakers:

Front speakers connected to front A.

Rear speakers are connected to surround.

Centre is connected to centre.

Sub to sub.

Looks like something wrong with the way I have connected the devices.

TV - Same issue with sound as before.

When I play a DVD, all speakers work!

Xbox - same issue as tv

Tuner - all speakers work.

The common issue seems that both the xbox and tv are connected for audio via a red and white cable for each....

What should I do?

Should it matter what "program" is being used?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
I looked at a couple of websites regarding the audio options for the TV. It appears to have a coaxial audio output - any (working) RCA cable would work to connect to the AVR. This is a digital connection similar to optical - See the cables/connections FAQ I provided earlier. Try that instead of the analogue audio (red/white) cables.

You could also try reversing the red for the white cable at the AVR end and see if the sound comes out the right side instead of the left and that would indicate a bad (red) cable.

Does the XBOX have a digital audio output? Optical or Coaxial? Try that.

The AVR appears to have 3 optical and 2 coaxial audio inputs. Make sure you use the correct ones, or assign them properly to the input you prefer to use.

If you wish, try a different set of red/white cables to see if they work properly and if they do, you can wait until I get there. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it working!!

When i changed the channel from CP24 to another one on TV, all speakers work!!

Holy crap!

Why???

XBOX works fine now too if I use PRO LOGIC program...

Hmmmm

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Only thing I can think of is that perhaps you've turned on the Descriptive Video or SAP option(s) and somehow CP24 isn't getting the correct audio. Have you tried other channels? Most HD channels are DD5.1, while most SD channels are DD2.0.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Your XBOX is coming up Pro logic because you're using the RCA (red/White) audio feed. There is a cleverly hidden digital out on the AV connector on the XBOX supplied cable, but if you're using HDMI, then that plug is not in use....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts