Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
but only have the Huludesktop app use the VPN connection all other traffic should go out not over the VPN.
All that's required is to set up the appropriate routing rule for the desired traffic to go through the VPN. Leave the default route as is. I do this when I use OpenVPN to connect to my home network. I even had it set up so that when I connected to the Rogers SMTP server, it would appear as though I was connecting from home. (This was before I learned about using port 587 for off network SMTP.)

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
^^^^
It's not difficult, but you have to understand how to configure routing. For example, in the script which I use to start OpenVPN, I added these lines:

/sbin/route add -net 172.16.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 tun0
/sbin/route add -host smtp.broadband.rogers.com tun0

The first sets up the route to my home network via the VPN and the 2nd says traffic for the Rogers SMTP server also goes via the VPN. Tun0 is the VPN interface and it is possible to have more than one. For example, when I enable the IPv6 6in4 tunnel, it appears as tun1 and I can have both it and OpenVPN up at the same time.

·
Registered
8,977 Posts
^^^^
Port 587 is for off network SMTP. OpenVPN normally uses UDP port 1194, but it can be configured for another port or TCP.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.