Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i recently moved out of the city and into a rual area a lil more north, In Ontario canada. So i decided instead of using dial up to get a Rogers Rocket Hub. Which is the sony ericsson mobile internet hub which uses the 3G network.

Using my xbox i was able to play COD MW2 online no problem.
But when i change the settings around and open the ports for PS3 COD MW2
it cannot connect to to the online play. It just sits at that screen saying connecting to online matchmaking.

Its getting real annoying i cant figure it out.
Weird thing is, i can connect to the internet with the ps3 and also play other multiplayer games.
Its like the ps3 server is not supported out in my area or something, weird to say.

Has anyone figured it out yet?

HAS anyone ever had this problem or herd of a fix let me know thanks?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I use Bell Rural Internet, so I can relate. Out of all my games, I have only had problems with CoD MW, CoD WaW, and MW2. The reason is they use hosts for connection instead of having dedicated servers. If you have too high ping, you won't get connected. My ping is usually 150ms, and despite being bad, I can connect. I normally show as one red bar, sometimes going up to two yellow. I get lag killed all the time, but I still like to play with my buddies.

The other possibility is that the hub has blocked ports.

Go to pingtest.net and post your results for us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's been some people having the same problem. The solution that worked for most people is changing the MTU from 1500 to a 1492 or less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same Problem

We have much the same problem however we do get it to work at times using port forwarding on the hub. Activision uses server port 80 with nat port 3074 and ip address 192.168.1.83(this is the adress we set on the ps3 with a static ip adress). Sometimes it helps to unplug the Hub for a few minutes to get it to work. We had this working well for a month or two however it went down the other day and I have the same problem again.There is also info on activisions site regarding Nat types etc which helps to explain the problem with the all in one router/modem. The consensus is that you need to get rogers to add the service of a "Public IP address" however this costs 5 bucks a month and I am still trying to get this to work without the service. If you get yours going let us know.
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
try this

If you are having a problem connecting to an online game game, check the following:

Disable any firewall or security features within your router
Set port forwarding on your router to the IP address of your Playstation 3. This game uses ports 2005, 3074, 3075, 3478(UDP) and ports 80, 443, 5223, 3074(TCP).
For voice / video chat and online game play, direct communication with other PS3™ systems is used for data transmission during voice / video chat and online gaming. The port number used for this is UDP: 3658

- Place your Playstation 3 into the DMZ of your router.

- If both fail, disconnect your router and try the game. If it works regularly at this point something about your router may not be completely compatible with the specific needs of this game. Check with your router manufacturer for additional steps that may need to be done to resolve the issue you are having.

NOTE: If setting port forwarding or DMZ helps your connection issue, you may want to assign your Playstation 3 a static IP address within your home network. This can help to ensure that the configurations you made do not need to done again.

NOTE: Many broadband internet modems are coming with routing capabilities built in. Please contact your internet service provider to determine if your internet modem has an integrated router. If it does, they should be able to assist you with the steps above for setting up your router.

You can find more information on configuring shared connections and forwarding ports for your specific router at http://www.portforward.com. Please be aware that like a firewall we cannot actively support using shared connections to play online.

Once you have verified that your network setup is not the cause of the issue you can try the following.

- Try connecting to a different server. Some servers may have other players connected to them that you do not have an optimal connection with. To do so back out to the main menu and select Multiplayer and then attempt to join a game.

www.portforward.com

you want to make sure your using a wired connection sometimes it doesnt work on a wirless connection I hope it helps!:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
PS3 setup with Rockethub 3G10WVR2

We are trying to set up this combination without success but we are not networking experts. We have tried the advice here (most of it I think) and elsewhere on the web without success and would like to find someone to work with us to get it going. We're going in circles.

I've searched here and there does not seem to be a lot on the PS3 but a lot of expertise on Rogers and this specific hub since our difficulties seem to be related to the hub. The PS3 works elsewhere. Reviving this thread seemed like the best way to ask for help.

Thanks, George (and Greg)

·
Registered
13 Posts
The problem is probably the port forwarding. Out of the box the sticks and hubs don't support port forwarding as you are behind the Rogers NAT. So, even if you set the ports you want forwarded in the hub interface it just won't work.

Rogers will give you an external IP address that will allow port forwarding but it costs extra, around $10/mo. There was some discussion on this in the Rogers Discontinuing Portable Internet thread.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Copied this from somewhere and had it in my computer notes and seemed to work when my ps3 wouldn't connect to psn when on a 3g router...

"Been troubled lately by that pesky DNS error? Notice that your PS3 can still browse the net, but not log in? Happen to be a Roadrunner customer? Happen to have any other ISP with a crummy DNS server? Well then read on...

The main issue turns out to be a Roadrunner (or any other ISP's) DNS problem. The fix is simple. When configuring your PS3 network (regardless of wired or wireless), use the manual option. If you use DHCP, leave address resolution at automatic BUT CHANGE THE DNS SERVER ENTRY TO MANUAL.

I replaced the Roadrunner (or any other ISP's) DNS entries with addresses from the Open DNS project which is a free, secure DNS server that anyone can use. It's safe, easy, and works.

The DNS addresses are:

208.67.222.222 or/and 208.67.220.220

Once replaced, you should have no problem logging in.

BTW, you can also use these DNS servers for your entire network if you like by configuring your router. That however is up to you, and won't be discussed in this particular thread by me since I'm too lazy to make a writeup for every single router out there. However, I do guarantee that this fix will work (or at least get you online with your PS3) for the time being. If it doesn't work, then please re-read this thread and try again before wasting five minutes of your time telling me that it doesn't work.

Also, for those that think that this is a PSN issue; consider this: With TW, I could still browse the net with the PS3. I could also use any of my home PC's without problem. The only time I ever encountered a fault was when trying to log into the PSN network using the TWC supplied DNS addresses. Once I replaced those, the problem went away.

Think about it now. If it was a PSN issue, the OpenDNS addresses woudn't have worked for me or anyone else here either. But, since it did I think it's safe to say that the problem lies with your ISP. Don't forget that alot of ISP's including Time Warner depend on 3rd party DNS hosts. Just because you have TW (or Comcast, or Cablevision, et al), doesn't mean the DNS servers are owned and operated by them as well. Perhaps the DNS provider changed something in their routing tables preventing a connection with PSN. There are ALOT of variables at play here..."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts