Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I am currently building my basement on a newish house (5 yrs old)
I plan to put insulation in the basement ceiling for sound dampening between floors.
I want to put in pot lights (got a great deal on some from HD yesterday) but they are non insulation rated lights. I don't want to have to buy the insulated boxes @$30+ each....

Since I am only using insulation for sound, I am not worried about leakage.

I know I have to keep the insulation a minumum distance away from the lights - can I build wooden boxes to keep the insulation away? Or how about cardboard?

Thoughts?
Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, especially regarding the effect on the sound dampening.

I'm not sure why you're suggesting that it will definitely equate to burning the house down....
If with a non-insulated potlight I have to ensure that the insulation is at least 3 inches away from the lights (in all directions), then why would adding a wood barrier to ensure the insulation didn't shift be a bad thing?

Either way, I think I may re-think my plan and limit the amount of recessed lighting. Too bad, I got a heck of a deal on these guys....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.