Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
can I build wooden boxes to keep the insulation away? Or how about cardboard?
Only if you want to burn your house down. :eek: You might get away with using fire rated drywall but check with the local inspection department first. It's probably better to use the correct boxes. Is it worth putting your life in danger to save $30 on a fixture?

Putting pot lights in defeats the purpose of sound insulation since they will allow a lot of sound leakage. Might as well not insulate at all. Maybe wall sconces or track lights would be a better option.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'm not sure why you're suggesting that it will definitely equate to burning the house down....
I was referring mostly to the use of cardboard which would burn easily, though a wooden enclosure is also a fire hazard. I think you will find that the approved enclosure is made of metal. Metal doesn't normally burn and it creates a fire barrier. It also helps conduct heat away from hot spots above the fixture. Other materials, like fire rated drywall, may also work but the enclosure must be large enough to prevent fixture overheating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.