Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I am currently building my basement on a newish house (5 yrs old)
I plan to put insulation in the basement ceiling for sound dampening between floors.
I want to put in pot lights (got a great deal on some from HD yesterday) but they are non insulation rated lights. I don't want to have to buy the insulated boxes @$30+ each....

Since I am only using insulation for sound, I am not worried about leakage.

I know I have to keep the insulation a minumum distance away from the lights - can I build wooden boxes to keep the insulation away? Or how about cardboard?

Thoughts?
Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
can I build wooden boxes to keep the insulation away? Or how about cardboard?
Only if you want to burn your house down. :eek: You might get away with using fire rated drywall but check with the local inspection department first. It's probably better to use the correct boxes. Is it worth putting your life in danger to save $30 on a fixture?

Putting pot lights in defeats the purpose of sound insulation since they will allow a lot of sound leakage. Might as well not insulate at all. Maybe wall sconces or track lights would be a better option.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I plan to put insulation in the basement ceiling for sound dampening between floors. [...] I want to put in pot lights
Pot lights are the best way of ruining the sound separation through a ceiling!!!

I sincerely recommend that you find some nice surface mount lighting or go to wall sconces.

PS. You WILL burn down your house doing the way you suggested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys, especially regarding the effect on the sound dampening.

I'm not sure why you're suggesting that it will definitely equate to burning the house down....
If with a non-insulated potlight I have to ensure that the insulation is at least 3 inches away from the lights (in all directions), then why would adding a wood barrier to ensure the insulation didn't shift be a bad thing?

Either way, I think I may re-think my plan and limit the amount of recessed lighting. Too bad, I got a heck of a deal on these guys....

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it's just insulation shifting that you are worried about then don't. As long as the insulation is installed correctly, why would it shift? As far as sound deadening goes, I would agree with the other posts.

M64

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I'm not sure why you're suggesting that it will definitely equate to burning the house down....
I was referring mostly to the use of cardboard which would burn easily, though a wooden enclosure is also a fire hazard. I think you will find that the approved enclosure is made of metal. Metal doesn't normally burn and it creates a fire barrier. It also helps conduct heat away from hot spots above the fixture. Other materials, like fire rated drywall, may also work but the enclosure must be large enough to prevent fixture overheating.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You can also buy In Contact pot lights. They have a metal sheath that the light assembly sits inside. It would maximize the amount of soundproofing that the insulation can provide and they are meant to be stuffed into insulation.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Even insulated pot lights cannot be in contact with the wooden cieling above them. During my electrical inspection I was advised to lower them. Which forced me to use of resiliant channelling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You use insulated rated pot lights not only to protect what they touch, but to protect them for the heat they generate and have no where to exhaust. The little plastic clips and connectors dry out and short out when they get too hot.

You can use the boxes, or just get rated fixtures.

P.S. I'm an electrician.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Use wall sconces, they look really cool when you dim them and you want your ceiling as hard as possible, with no breaks for the best sound... AND the fire hazzard is not to be messed with...

·
Registered
302 Posts
You definately do not want to mess around with those light, I have them in my basement with the insulation boxes and the amount of heat they generate is staggering.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts