Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying various things to get Rogers cable as the live TV source on the windows media centre. I have the Rogers HD PVR so first I tried the Hauppauge HD PVR, while it this worked people in my house just complained too much about the delay in doing anything like the guide or PVR list. The delay makes sense to me as the Rogers box needs to send into the Hauppauge, then USB into the PC, then HDMI out the PC to the TV.
Then I decided to try the 950Q as we don't watch any HD channels anyway and I bought with a lower res picture, rings would work better with less delay. Hooked this up with coax from the Rogers box to the 950Q and it also works, delay is less, but the picture is too small on my TV. I could not get the composite connection on the 950q working because of an error in MMC with needing a remote to control the set top box. I am really lost as to what to do here. The only thing ever on in my house is disney junior, treehouse, and YTV.
I was going to try next the Haupauge 1950, maybe that will work better as it has the IR blaster so maybe I will have success in using the composite connection with my Rogers box.
As a recap:
What tuner would you suggest?
If I use the 950q, any idea how to stretch the image on my plasma?
Would a 1950 work better?
Any suggestions on what to use?

thanks for any assistance

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think you're doing it wrong.

Generally what you're doing with Windows Media Center is replacing the PVR and guide from Rogers. Sounds like what you're doing is trying to control the Rogers PVR with Media Center.

Here's what I'd recommend:
- Get a Rogers HD Receiver (not PVR)
- Connect that through the HDPVR
- Connect an IR blaster to the Rogers box so that media center can change channels
- Use the guide and recorded TV list from Media Center

In this configuration, Media Center will connect to the rogers box only to tune in channels for recording. Everything else is done natively through media center, which should have a snappy response for guide and recorded TV list.

Or perhaps I misread your comments. Happy to help.

-Pete

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. That would work, however the problem is that I can only record and watch the same channel. The HD PVR from Rogers can watch and record two different channels which is why I wanted to use that device for the recording.

So if I go your recommended route, I purchase a Zotac AD10 Plus mini PC with an AMD Dual-Core Processor E-350 1.6GHZ, AMD M1 Chipset and 2GB ram. Would that be enough if I go your route with PC based recording?

thanks a bunch for your help.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Let's back up a step, I'm not quite sure what you're looking to accomplish and will be able to help you better if I understand that.

You have a Rogers PVR, what about that experience are you looking to enhance/replace?
Is this for one television, or whole home?
Where do you live, and have you ever looked at over-the-air as an option?
In general, how do you hope to be able to use the new system?

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a home automation system that sends messages and announcements to my htpc. When someone is at my front door it also sends an image. This works great when my htpc is displayed on my plasma. However with Rogers running as the input most of the time for my kids shows, you see nothing. So all I really wanted to do was have my htpc running though the tv and have Rogers run through it just to display it. I tried to have Rogers to my tv and setup pip to display the htpc but my tv does not support it and any TV that does only allows the pip screen to be coax or antenna. I could have my automation syst switch inputs to the htpc when sending an image or message but the delay in switching inputs to sync the two hdmi connections is painful. Any ideas. I don't mind using the Rogers interface at all, I just want the htpc to display it or somehow have it show up. I also tried finding something that would allow some form of pip isn't the htpc and Rogers hdmi connections but no luck yet.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Happy to help, here's a suggestion:
- Get two Rogers HD receivers
- Get two HDPVR tuners
- Connect both tuners to the media center (PC you spec'ed is fine, get a big/fast hard drive though)
- Configure Media Center as your primary PVR

Optional changes to above:
- If you're near a major city, add an over-the-air tuner and antenna which will make getting your local HD channels much simpler. I'd use the HDHomerun tuner.
- If you want to share your PVR content elsewhere in the home, add an XBox or two which will extend the PVR to any TV in the house

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks pnear. Looks like I will need a bigger cabinet to hold all this gear:). I have stayed away from the OTA channels mainly because I don't want to stick a big antenna on my roof.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mine's in the attic and works fine. I live in Milton, and get all the Buffalo and Toronto HD channels crystal-clear.

The purists will tell you not to do it in the attic, but it keeps my wife and neighbours happy. ;-)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given I don't watch hd channels really, why not rent the non hd terminals and get the cheaper hauppauge 1952 I think is what it was.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you're not interested in HD, then you have many more options available to you. The Hauppauge cards are good, I might look at the HVR-2250 internal card which has two tuners and also does OTA if you decide you want to go that way in the future. Less boxes for the cabinet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Internal cards not an option as I bought the Zotac nano. I'm thinking the hauppauge 1950. Can I use the composite inputs to record and at the same time use the coax for OTA watching of channels. I am thinking I can't as it is only connected with one USB to the pc and seen as one tuner. Oven with the 1950 I likely need two of them to watch and record different channels.

Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What kind of quality with Rogers STB coax into HD HomeRUN

Was thinking about taking my rogers STB, using the coax output and going into the HD HomeRUn. Anyone try this.

·
Registered
704 Posts
The Rogers box outputs NTSC analog signals from the coax output. The HDHomerun only tunes in ATSC and QAM digital signals. Sorry, that combination won't work.

HOWEVER...

Depends what channels you want to get, the basic channels will likely come in via digital QAM without a box. You can test this now by plugging your coax cable from the wall directly into a HDTV. Have your TV scan for signals, and it will pull in some digital cable channels (your TV will report them with subchannels, like 13.43). Those channels you will be able to pull in with the HDHomerun. Looks like Rogers in the GTA has almost no QAM channels though.

See here for more info http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=32271

·
Super Moderator
56,403 Posts
For recording HD you need an HD PVR from Rogers, or an HDPVR like the Hauppauge. See the following FAQ on Recording HD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14099

I've moved your post to this existing thread which you started where this has already been discussed. The RF-coax is NTSC SD video and mono audio, as mentioned previously.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Mine's in the attic and works fine. I live in Milton, and get all the Buffalo and Toronto HD channels crystal-clear.

The purists will tell you not to do it in the attic, but it keeps my wife and neighbours happy. ;-)
So the attic installation will not cause any signal quality problems? Obviously there must not be line of sight problems (I'm assuming your antenna is in a closed-in attic and the signal is being received through your roof/shingles, etc). I'm along the 401 in Mississauga and would probably be in a similar situation as you in terms of what I should be able to receive.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've not compared the attic signal to a roof signal, but assume that there is a degradation going through my roof deck and asphalt shingles.

I have two CM4221 antennas vertically stacked, and get most channels reliably. CBS can be glitchy during fog but good enough for what I need.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts