Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here who needs some assistance;

I have recently received a Bell HD PVR, a new Pioneer receiver VSX-520-K and a 52" Samsung.

I ran a HDMI from Bell box to receiver and another HDMI wire to TV from receiver. the input on the receiver for audio is set to HDMI.

I GET NO AUDIO on my TV? has this something to do with my Bell Box???

Do i need to run a digital wire? i am so confused.

any help would be appreciated

thanks
cory

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
What happens if you connect HDMI directly from the Bell 9241 to the TV.?

If this works, it is a setting on the Pioneer that needs looking at.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Check that you have the HDMI cables in the correct ports, the Output from the Receiver to the TV looks to be the very bottom Port.

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
I GET NO AUDIO on my TV?
Are you talking about your TV or the AVR? Most AVRs do not "passthrough" the audio to the TV if they're set to handle the audio themselves. You should be getting audio on the AVR if all the settings and connections are correct.

Here's the FAQ on HDMI Issues:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

And here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry, i do mean when the TV.

however, when i conncect directly, i do get volume on the TV.

So reading the above links (thank you by the way), it appears i need a digital cable from expressvu box to Pioneer AVR and then i should be good?

i'm assuming the AVR will process the audio to the TV thru the HDMI?

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
No, the AVR will not do that. You can have audio on the AVR, or on the TV, not both, unless you were to connect say HDMI directly from the STB to the TV and optical from the STB to the AVR. I believe the BTV STBs output audio from both at the same time, but someone else would need to confirm.

Or perhaps run component video from the STB, along with analogue audio to the TV and optical to the AVR directly from the STB. However, please realize that you cannot have both on at the same time, otherwise you'll get an echo. Most people simply have the AVR on all the time for audio, since the sound is much better from an AVR and then you don't need to run additional cabling and switch both the AVR and the TV inputs if you have other devices.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Another possible alternative would be to run HDMI from the satellite receiver to the TV, then optical from the TV to the stereo receiver.

Not necessarily the best alternative, but it should accomplish what you're looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts