Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help, new Plasma owner - is it normal to have some "dithering" in the picture?

Hi all,

I don't know how to describe this, but in areas were I would expect solid colours, I sometimes find a moving pattern of dithering - is this normal? It essentially disappears from 1-2ft away, I don't notice it during normal viewing distances, just when I'm up in front of the screen. In black areas, such as the credit screens of movies, I see some faint flecks of light here and there up close, but if I move 2ft away, I can't see them, just a field of black.

I just got a Panasonic TCP-50U2 on boxing day sale and its our 2nd TV up in the bedroom - its connected via component outs from a Bell FibeTV STB. Would a digital connection via HDMI make any difference? My only other comparison is our home theatre which is a front projector (Panny PT-AE2000) connected via HDMI and I can't see anything like it but that's a totally different technology.

Is this something I should be worried about?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Totally normal and nothing to worry about. Every size an type of screen has a minimum recommended viewing distance.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Dithering is normal in plasmas.

I'm not familiar with the settings of that model but it may have options to select the dithering algormithm.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I think it's an issue with the TV signal. And how far away are you from the TV when you see this? I can see it in SD programs on my 50" Panasonic plasma.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I had a look at some of the other TVs around at stores and they all exhibit the same moving dithering. It's funny though that my projector doesn't do that at all. But at least its normal.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Unless you plan on watching TV at a foot away from screen just sit back and enjoy your plasma , you made the wise choice of going plasma.

Never judge a plasma in store , once people get there plasma's home that's when you truly see the beauty of this tech.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
you'll love your G25, mobiduck. It's a great product.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts