Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

The case is as follows:

Due to a personal matter, I was advised to change my cell phone number by the local police department. Within minutes, I have called Rogers Wireless and have done so.

Question is: Can the person that had my previous number, find out my new number when the iphone is connected to my laptop and/OR/IF that person has installed a virus remotely on my PC, can they find out my new number or that is technically not possible?

Any response will help and be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Toni

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well if you use itunes, it can display the number of the iPhone that it is connected to.

If you have serious concerns that a virus or trojan was installed on your pc, I would reformat and re-install windows to ensure you have a clean PC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response guys. I am amazed however not shocked.

I was thinking of the Itunes scenario myself as well. It makes sense technically.

What do you guys suggest as to being protected and getting rid of this intruder?

Completely cancel my Rogers account and open a new one under a business name?

Change from a PC to a Mac with advanced security measures?

What steps do I need to take to make my router more secure ( apparently there's a feature that can be turned off manually ? )

Thanks a million

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HELP NEEDED PART 2 - IPhone Tapped/Remotely Controlled

Hello everyone

I am being faced with a serious problem/scenario with my Iphone.

I've done some research myself and came across this article:

http://mashable.com/2009/07/30/iphone-hack/

I HAVE received SMS before to the iPhone, but it looked to be a ' legit' promo txt from Rogers..

To cut right to it, I was browsing through my photos on the iPhone. Within 5 seconds, the picture changed by 'itself' zoom in and out by 'itself' and the 'trash' icon was taped ' by itself' asking if I want to delete the photo. I taped'cancel', then it switch to another photo and the same scenario repeated in a cycle with other photos. Within seconds the photo viewer closed by itself and the Iphone clock opened ' by itself'.

Now, an important note, I did drop the phone about 4 times in the past 10 months and the last drop caused monitor crack/damage.

My question is:

has the phone acted up due to the physical drops/damage, or it is truly controlled remotely ? (in a previous post I have mentioned that I believe someone has access to my network at home)... If so, then what steps do I take to find out who it is ( by tracing .. ? ) or to simply find the hidden malicious program?

After I disconnected and turned off wifi on the Iphone to 3G, the phone functioned normally. Picture viewer did not act up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, I haven't jail broken the phone. Did not perform an OS restore as I find it not useful if the person has access to my home network. I would need to change the outside and inside IP address, create an encrypted network, remove any trojans/viruses from the PC then perform a full restore of the OS.. in order to safely ever charged or sync my iphone with the PC... those are some of the steps I have been recommended... ? !

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
The one and only thing you must do is take it to the company from which you got it and demand a replacement, and also insist that the phone carrier immediately deal with this issue from a security perspective. Do that immediately and when you've done that let us know how things went.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I don't think the carrier has any responsibility on your own device. If your phone was tampered due to mistakes of your own, really Rogers (or any other carrier) does not have to do anything (ie: they don't have to replace your phone).

If you are seriously in that sort of situation, bite the bullet and get a new phone, pay out of pocket and you'll be done.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Before making conclusions and shelling out more money let the store/provider analyze the situation.
I'd call Roger's Office of the President dept. and explain the situation to them, while they may not be legally obligated to do anything, I find that as with any company if you're a customer in good standing and deal with them respectfully, they'll be more inclined to do whatever they can to help you out.

Worst case scenario, the OP mentions dropping the phone several times over the last 10 months so they would be eligible for the iPhone early upgrade option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts