Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I have about seven Kodak Photo CD files from the early to mid-nineties. I would like to take all the .pcd files and convert them to .jpg.

So I Googled and found the best solution is pcdtojpeg which is a free command line utility. There is a GUI option that uses pcdtojpeg but its $79. (edit: actually its mac only so little else)

pcdtojpeg is a command line utility hose use is straightforward. The following is from the utilities usage file.

My problem is I want to batch convert the 100+ images on the disc rather than one at a time.

Any Windows gurus that can help me

pcdtojpeg [options] file1 [file2]

Where file1 is a PCD file, and file2 is a jpeg file. If file2 is not specified, then pcdtojpeg will create a filename by changing the extension of file1 to jpg.

Valid options:
-h Print this message
-v Verbose file information
-m Process the file as monochrome
-D50 Process for a white balance of D50
-D65 Process for a white balance of D65
-q nnn JPEG file quality (nnn range 1 to 100)
-b n.n Brightness adjustment (n.n range -2.0 to 2.0)
-r n Highest resolution to extract (n range 0 to 5):
0 - Base/16 (128 x 192)
1 - Base/4 (256 x 384)
2 - Base (512 x 768)
3 - 4Base (1024 x 1536)
4 - 16Base (2048 x 3072)
5 - 64Base (4096 x 6144)

Defaults are -D65 -q 100 -b 0.0 -r 4 : D65 color balance, 100% JPEG quality, no adjustment to image brightness, 2048 x 3072 resolution.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ideally the batch would iterate through all the files in a directory and essentially execute the following commands

pcdtojpeg -q 100 img0001.pcd
pcdtojpeg -q 100 img0002.pcd
pcdtojpeg -q 100 img0003.pcd
pcdtojpeg -q 100 img0004.pcd
pcdtojpeg -q 100 img0005.pcd and so on.

until it reached the final file in the directory

·
Super Moderator
16,865 Posts
Assuming all your files are in one folder, open a command prompt in that folder and type:

FOR %i IN (*.PCD) DO pcdtojpeg -q 100 %i

That will do them all in one command.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank-you Dr. Dave. The joy of having so many smart, knowledgeable and experienced people on the forums!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't think you can just rename a file type from one format to another to convert. The routine mentioned above will rename the files but it will not convert them to a different format (I am fairly sure of this).
Get the free graphics software "Irfanview" http://www.irfanview.net/
you can mass convert files there.
chaz

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
As mentioned Irfanview will do what you want without any fuss and its fast. The download is under 2MB and it can read and write so many odd ball files. Lossless JPEG rotation is handy too. In fact, I just create this attached PDF (of the conversion dialog box) with Irfanview.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1 for Irfanview for batch work.

So many options, even my wife loves it, so that is saying something!

Small program, no bs, just works great.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I'm not a Windows user so I've never used IrfanView. Does it have a scheduler for batch processing?

The beauty of creating one's own batch files is that you can run them at amy pre-determined time, such as overnight or during low-load times.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Stampeder ..It does not have a scheduler..at least I can't see it if it does. Any time I've asked it to convert files, it's almost too quick to see it working. Also, I should have looked more closely at hugh's original post as I don't see the file type "pcd" as being on the list of files it can convert. I may have an older version of IrfanvVew.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts