Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TV Tuner Card and I want to be able to watch the digital channels but I tried using Windows Media Center and in the TV setup, it asked for an IR Receiver, which I do no have? I can easily watch analog channels, but I just want to plug in my DCT700 and watch more channels. Do you guys know how to do it? I would appreciate some help thanks! :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
You need an IR receiver to do this.

Media Center needs the DCT700 to tune to the appropriate channel for it. This signal is sent out via an IR receiver/blaster. Without it, Media Center has no way of communicating with the DCT700.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Most Media Center remote controls will include the proper receiver. You can find them for sale on most online computer parts retailers for about $30-$50.

(Sorry, I can't post links here.)

Just be sure the one you buy has the ability to function as an "IR Blaster" (it is usually listed under the product details).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.. Actually, all I wanted to do was to be able to watch the TV on my new 24" LCD screen. So, I'm using WinTV instead. I don't understand why Windows Media Center does not give you the ability to just use channel 3 and then use the remote to change the channel instead of the software.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I'm not sure if you tried, but you could have just plugged the cable directly into the computer's TV tuner and Media Center would tune all of the analog channels and get you the full guide for them. I'm guessing this is what you are doing with WinTV right now?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ah, I see what you mean, NoCarrier. In that case, yeah, Media Center doesn't really play well with that kind of setup. Frankly, Media Center is overkill for that anyways :p

WinTV is all you need then, really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts