Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a third IPN330HD Telus STB that someone gave to me.

It has not been used for a while. Telus gave me a registration code so I should be all set.

However when I connect it, it tells me it is downloading some software and then, after a few minutes displays a powered by Minerva screen.

It also shows what looks like an error message of E0043 and seems stuck at a process 6/23 or 7/23.

All this is greek to me.

Any ideas on how to make it work or is it toast?

Everytime I try it does the same thing.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can't upgrade the firmware on it unless it is connected through the Telus Dlink 8310 modem/router (that is set to STB routed mode) - they won't update through an Actiontec.

EDIT - But no, it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the STB. It just has Minerva firmware which is expecting to get a 10.IP from Telus, not a 192. IP from your Actiontec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much.

Is there any kind of workaround I can do with another modem other than what sounds like a special Telus model?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You might be able to do a hard reset on the box and see if it picks up the Media Room software.

I'm not 100% sure (maybe someone can verify this...)but I believe you have to hold the "Power", "OK" and "Down" button and plug in the power cord on the box. Wait until you see a gear on the screen before you let go of the buttons. Make sure the STB is connected to the router before performing the hard reset.

If it works it believe it takes about 20 mins. You'll see 1 gear on the screen, then 2 gears, then the Telus logo. Just leave the box until it asks you for a registration number.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help - it is up and running.

I took the box and plugged it into my neighbour's dlink router and it updated like a dream.

What I can't figure out is why on earth Telus would install modems in new installations like mine that cannot update the stb.

Again thanks to all who replied.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Try being the guy who has to update STBs when the only modem we have that works on VDSL can't flip the firmware from Minerva to Mediaroom.

EDIT - You can update STBs through the Actiontec but you can not change the firmware platform through the Actiontec. ie. you can go from MR 1.6 to 2.0 through the Actiontec but not Minerva to MR. Soon enough it won't be an issue because Minerva is going away.

·
Registered
176 Posts
smathedog,

Is your neighbor on Mediaroom?

On your neighbor's Dlink, did you just upgrade the platform and stop when it asked for the reg code?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for all the help - it is up and running.

I took the box and plugged it into my neighbour's dlink router and it updated like a dream.

What I can't figure out is why on earth Telus would install modems in new installations like mine that cannot update the stb.

Again thanks to all who replied.
This could be a security issue. Flashing a blackbox (on your home LAN) may well be blocked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I did was plug it in, did not even connect it to a TV.

Went home for 30 mins, came back took it home and it was all good.

Neighbour was already on mediaroom. The Dlink was acting as a standalone wireless router although it looked like it was also a modem.

Telus had installed a standalone model for some reason.

All I know is it worked great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts