Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Okay well if Zap2it goes away at least we can get pretty good listings even if the chans are not in our order. Tnx for the info.

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
I just thought I'd let everyone know I've given up on Zap2it Classic as my primary TV guide. I'll use the new Zap2it for now and use Classic for functions that New Zap2it doesn't have.

There have been a few instances where Classic was slow getting updates, but the clincher was last month when CTV updated their schedules for Nov. 4 and 6. The new Zap2it had the changes, but Classic still doesn't, so it's just not reliable enough for me to use in posting programming updates.

EDIT: It's not just the Canadian channels. Yesterday, NBC announced they would air a 3-hour election special on Nov. 6 and move The Voice to Nov. 8. New Zap2it has the changes, Classic doesn't.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Wow that's strange I thought Classic and New just looked diff. but had the same info. Well I hope New works okay for you. Thank you for all your updates!

BTW Zap2It Classic says the Voice is on Nov. 6 but it's a "recap" show. NBC website says the same so I think Zap2It Classic is caught up now.

https://www.nbc.com/schedule

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
@Bayguy I think you're mistaken about NBC. The NBC link you posted says the following:

Tuesday, Nov. 6 - primetime will consist of 3 hours of The Vote: America's Future

Thursday, Nov. 8
Superstore
The Good Place
The Voice ALL NEW "The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24."
I Feel Bad
Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

New Zap2it says the same thing

Classic says:
Tuesday, Nov. 6
The Voice recap followed by TWO hours of The Vote: America's Future

Thursday, Nov. 8
Superstore
The Good Place
Will & Grace
I Feel Bad

My local NBC affiliate is KARE in Minneapolis for both versions of Zap2it. (I don't know if other affiliates are different.)

I think the new Zap2it is a total rewrite, not just a different User Interface. They are maintaining 2 different databases.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I love Zap2it also @Dr.Dave, but I agree that the classic changed. I think it happened after it rebranded itself to Screener a couple of years ago and then went back to Zap2it. It's still the best for what it is though, in my opinion. I use that, plus two other sites that aren't guides as much as listings of upcoming (over the next few months) shows on Canadian, Brit and Aussie TV. I also use another for U.S. TV, but that's relatively easy to find in general.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Dr. Dave that is very strange the link I gave says this for me on Nov 6:

7:00pm
The Vote: America's Future
Coverage of the 2018 midterm elections.

8:00pm
The Voice
All New
The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24.

9:00pm
The Vote: America's Future
Coverage of the 2018 midterm elections.

11:00pm
NBC Bay Area News at 11

Local news, sports and weather.

And then this for Nov. 8:

8:00pm
Superstore
All New
Amy learns she has no maternity leave and must return to work two days after giving birth.

8:30pm
The Good Place
All New
Michael helps Eleanor recall forgotten events from her past with Chidi.

9:00pm
The Voice
All New
The best moments of the season chronicle the journey of the top 24.

9:30pm
I Feel Bad
All New
When Emet is torn between her work and her kids, she wants to have it all -- by any means necessary.

10:00pm
All New
When a waitress is sexually assaulted, SVU looks at the celebrity chef who employs her.

I know we are getting away from Zap2It but some ppl may look at NBC's website for listings too and so its too bad they might be wrong.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
p.s. I looked at a Detroit station on Zap2it classic and it said this:

5:00 PM The Voice "Road to Live Shows"
NEW HD TV-PG (L)

6:00 PM The Vote: America's Future
LIVE HD

8:00 PM Local 4 News at 11

(You need to add three hrs. because I have Zap2it set to PT.)

Just for kicks I looked at THE SAME STATION (Detroit) on Shaw Direct and it shows THE VOTE at 8:00 all the way to 11:00. So it looks like even NBC doesn't know if its showing the Voice or not! Anyway what you are doing with looking at more than one listing is a good idea!

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Hi, Dr. Dave I never visited the NBC site schedule until today so it isn't the browser. But I just did Cmd-R and got the same thing. Maybe either our NBC is doing that or they told the NBC website the wrong thing.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
I see Zap2it changed to some new format that shows all the channels, instead of just the ones I had selected. Why the hell can't they leave things well enough alone? They've been beaten back a couple of times already, when they tried to force this nonsense on us. Why do they refuse to learn???

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
JamesK does your URL say "gracenote"? We are getting the NEW Zap2It it looks like the old one is really gone now. :-( I was using a site that had the old one and there are some other links in this thread I will try but I am afraid that they are all gone. :-(

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
p.s. I just tried ALL the links in this thread, like in Post 51 Dr. Dave had a bunch and then there were some others. Some go to gracenote and some go to zap2it but they all have the new format. :-( So now I will go in to it and try to make it the way I want as best I can.

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
There are a bunch of other TV guides discussed at the beginning of this thread and a few more in post 76. These might be alternatives for anyone that really hates the new Zap2it. There may be a few others sprinkled throughout the thread.

I haven't found anything that provides the same functionality as the classic Zap2it.

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
JamesK does your URL say "gracenote"?
Yep. Why do they think it's OK to remove the ability to create a custom grid, when Rogers has almost 1000 channels? Do they honestly expect anyone to sift through that huge pile, looking for the couple of dozen channels they're interested in? The new format is 100% useless!

·
Super Moderator
16,398 Posts
@JamesK click on the star beside the channels you want in your custom grid, then click on "Starred" in the title line. Unfortunately, you can't change the order.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
JamesK yes its frustrating that we can't put chans in the order we want. Shaw Direct has some groups that make sense like a bunch of OTA chans but then the HD OTAs are seperate and there are cable chans mixed in between them too. I used to have all the OTA chans together and then the TMN/HBO chans and then things like FX and Space. All very neat. Now I can't do that. :(

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
My old Zap2it was like Bayguy's except with Movie Channels listed first. Alas unless they add this functionality back I will have to live with the interface as is.

RIP Classic Zap2it :(

·
Registered
368 Posts
The new Zap2it suck big time, it's super slow compare to the old one, and they remove 4-5 features I was using regularly. I guest the only thing we can do is to complain on there Twitter account and maybe they'll rethink or at least add the old feature to the new one...

·
Registered
8,188 Posts
The more I use it, the more I realize how useless the new guide is. Not only can't I arrange the channels, there's no brief description of the shows. In addition, I can't click on a channel and scroll through the next 2 weeks. I can't open a channel or show in another tab, I don't see a first broadcast date. It sure doesn't provide much, compared to the old guide.

81 - 100 of 168 Posts