Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

So, I have an older 5800 PVR, and yesterday it apparently crapped out. I went to watch some TV today, and the unit is displaying a message saying that there is a "serious problem with my hard disk drive", and it is displaying an error code of 0457. 311 is up in the top right hand corner.

My questions:

1) Is this error message saying that my 5800 hard drive is toast, as I suspect?

2) It says to contact Bell (SkyDish #). Is it worth even phoning them for this?

3) Is there a cheap PVR replacement for this model that can be had here in Canada for under $200?

4) Should I just buy another receiver and pitch this one in the trash?

I've been a Bell customer for a long time, and currently have another receiver, an HD PVR in the house as well. I'd just like to replace this PVR.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help!

Do they still sell 5800/5900 receivers? Mine lasted a long time, and was quite reliable up until now.

I really liked being able to pause live TV, and having the PVR capabilities.

I presume the 6131 does not have the "pause" capability, correct?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Do they still sell 5800/5900 receivers?
No. You *might* be able to get a replacement from Bell but it will cost $150. That's probably not worth it since it will be a defective, used unit that has been repaired. As mentioned, a 6130 with EHD is an equivalent replacement. A 9241 would be an upgrade. The 6130 is frequently on sale for $150. There are deals available directly from Bell if you say that you want to cancel over the cost of a new unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent, Thanks! :D

I really like the "pause" feature, and if I have to get a separate HD, that's ok.

There is a store here in my town that sells Bell stuff, so I will see if they have any of these in stock.

I also have an old 2700, if all else fails. I'm thinking the card is waaaaaayyyy out of date, though. I retired it when I got the 5800. Do they even still support 2700's?

Thanks again for all the help on here - I really appreciate it, everyone!

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
2700's are still supported but if your card is that old, Bell might want to charge you for a new one, in which case I doubt it would be worth doing. You can get a new 4100 for $99.

If you are going to get HD programming, why not just call Bell, they will arrange installation and it should be free too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to thank everyone again!

I got a 6131 as a gift yesterday, and activated it today. I will be adding the Hard Drive to it tomorrow. Everything is working great so far!

One quick question, though: when everything is formatted (hard drive), and PVR capabilities are available, will I be able to pause live TV with this receiver? I know I can pause stuff that I've recorded on the hard drive, but something that I'm currently watching....will I have the ability to pause that? Just curious.

Thanks again...you guys were super helpful!

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you still have the 5800 try the tips listed here in post #24 by Falcon. If it's already in the garbage then it's too late.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21982&page=2
Format HDD
Reinitializing HDD
Clearing NVRAM

It saved my 5800 a couple of years ago when it displayed a serious problem with my hard disk drive. It's still working and activated. From memory, I can't say if it was the same code as yours. I think I had to clear the NVRAM twice to have a new version download from the satellite feed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help!

The receiver (6131) is working great, with all PVR capabilities, as you guys posted above....much better than my 5800. The external hard drive has given me a ton more space.

Thanks also, Velix, for the above info. I may just give that try to see if anything can be salvaged on my 5800, as I had a bunch of shows that I wanted on there, but they're gone now. :(

·
Registered
959 Posts
The first thing to do to try salvaging the 5800 is to pop the cover and re-seat the hard drive cable at both the hard drive and the system board ends. You serious error could just be a bad connection problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts