Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was set to buy a LC46LE810UN but was advised against it in favor of the Samsung UN46C6300, mostly because they have roughly the same picture quality and the Samsung has more features (DLNA, divx and mkv playback thru usb). I also like the frame of the samsung more than the sharp, and the OSD menu on the samsung is supposedly easier to navigate. I know clouding is an issue with both tvs.

At Sears the Samsung is $1349 and the Sharp is $1379. We are purchasing from there as we have ~$500 in gift cards and they said if purchase the extended warranty and don't use it during that time, the value before taxes will be refunded in gift cards. I don't care about 3D, or Internet enabled. The only console I own is a Wii. I will eventually hook up my pc via HDMI when I get a long enough cable. I think these two are the best choice in our price range. I would appreciate any feedback on these TVs re: clouding, flashlighting, lag, image retention. Thanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What effect does the 4ms refresh rate on the SAmsung do for gaming or fast action?
THks
I was told in the 46/47" the SAmsung 6300,6500 beat LG5300, sharp 810 and Sony 710. Samsungs LED has 2 vertical rows of LEd in the middle as well as edge lit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I've had the UN55C6300 for the past month and love it. No complaints! I like the fact that it will play and sorts of media files via the USB but I don't really use it as I can't take advantage of my surround sound.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have direct sunlight on the screen for a short while during the day and while I can see a difference it doesn't hinder my ability to watch. It handles it quite well. Actually, I seem to remember reading that the glass is designed to scatter the light so not to get a significant reflection.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any reason you didn't go up a notch for the 6500? IS it really worth the extra $300.00? If so I'll buy it. If not I'll buy the 6300.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless it has local dimming (not dynamic full screen dimming, which is highly annoying), best option is a full array instead of edge lit, save some hard earned cash and get a regular backlit ccfl lcd. The picture quality on the better ones equals or even betters many of the cheapo to mid priced edge lit led lcds, and many of the edge lit lcds can have more screen consistency issues than the fully backlit ccfl.

Or another option would be you can a bigger same price ccfl lcd over that edge lit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't agree with that theory and find it misleading. I can see for my own eyes that certain mid range LED like Sams 6300 have a a brighter picture and better clear crisp detail then LCD. LED is also better on energy use and the technology is more advanced and reliable then LCD.

·
Super Moderator
56,526 Posts
LED is LCD technology, only with a different backlight - it being LED instead of CCFL. The panel is still LCD. Depending on the make/model, LED may or may not be better overall PQ-wise than CCFL backlighting.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
How is the truth misleading? Just like 57 said, led IS an lcd only with a different backlight setup. Samsung and all the other companies are misleading you with calling it just "LED TV" which is only a half-truth. The only true led tv on the market is an OLED, and we are years away from seeing that tech at an affordable big screen price.

The reason you are seeing such a bright picture compared to ccfl lcd`s (which is by no means better picture, just brighter) is that is how stores set things up. You need to get the set out of "burn your eyes out" vivid mode and set it to movie mode in order to get a relatively accurate picture. Unless you like black crushing, white clipping, blue tinted whites and pale skin tones. If you do like all this, then the highly inaccurate vivid mode is for you.

Led sets are cheaper to make, more expensive to buy, the new big thing, and have bigger margins so the stores brighten them up so consumers will gravitate to them, buy into the hype of "EDGE LIT" which offers worse performance than a full array backlit set, be it led or ccfl. Pretty much every time an edge lit set will have worse off axis viewing and more light bleeding through the sides of the screen compared to a full array backlit set, especially compared to a full array local dimming set.

So bypass the hype of led edge lit and get a fully backlit ccfl and save a few bucks and lose no performance, or spend a few more and get a full array local dimming led.

The money you save from a ccfl lcd will take many years to make up with the minor power savings you will get from that led lcd.

·
Registered
127 Posts
When i'm instore the Edge lit backlight LEd sets look better then most CCFL LCD. So you can tell me a 1000 reasons why you like LCD. I will stick with the facts. On the mid range to upper level edge lit brands like the SAm6300/6500, the LED is a proven better technology, saves power, longer lasting, better quality. Even if the picture is the same as you think. I will still get the LED. And in 7,8 years I'm still happy and others had to replace the LCD at year 4. :) The repair depots all give the LED higher marks then CCFL LCD. As 57 said (may or may not) be better. Some poor quality brands probably match a CCFL LCD.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I love led lcd's. I own an led lcd, be it though a full array local dimming Samsung after much research, which you should be doing. Do not go in unarmed to these situations and listen to the salespeople at these big box stores. All they are trying to do is maximize their profit and sell you what gives them the best margin if you are asking their advise.

"Some poor quality brands probably match a CCFL LCD".

And some higher quality ccfl lcd's can surpass edge lit led lcd's. It can go either way. Led is proven to be a cheaper tech to produce, saves about $5 a year in power, ccfl will last longer than you are willing to keep it, and the picture quality is no better for led UNLESS it is a full array local dimming set.

"When i'm instore the Edge lit backlight LEd sets look better then most CCFL LCD"

Do you actually, at a minimum, engage movie mode on these sets or just stare at them? Do you have them in a separate darkened room to due some critical viewing and adjustments in order to make your claims, or just on the show room floor? If you do nothing, then you are not seeing the potential the set actually has, just how bright and inaccurate it can be. An equally priced, properly set up ccfl lcd will equal a properly set up edge lit led lcd for picture quality and surpass it in screen uniformity. The only thing going for an edge lit led lcd is its thinness.

If you are going to go with an led lcd, then please for the love of all that you believe in go with a full array local dimming set. Edge lit is so far inferior to these sets it is ridiculous. LG (8/9xxx series) and Vizio (xvt series) have some full array sets that are reviewing well and are for decent price. A good place to start is here, http://reviews.cnet.com/televisions/?tag=hdr;snav

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my neck of the woods Western Canada, I see no SAmsung with full dimming or the Vizio XVT1 or2 for sale. I'm not sure about LG, but I don't want LG. Have I missed them?

·
Banned
220 Posts
Cable rules seems clueless who even thinks edge lit LED's are better than the G25 plasma because he saw the LED being much brighter in the store. Look at the plasma section. Google top 5 best HDTV's of 2010 and you will see a familiar model and the only LED in there are full array local dimming and not edge lit also the G25 is in that top 5 list.

·
Registered
127 Posts
lol You a little out numbered to spit on LED-LCD in a LCD thread!!!!!!

G25? That UGLY thing! The worst looking TV by far out of all the plasmas I saw. OK ok I believe the experts that say it can be tweaked to a better picture.

My LED made the top 15 in one review I saw lol.

P.S. ANd this isn't a plasma thread!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was at a friends house and they had the 60' sharp quattron. It blew me away. I was watching a dvd movie (not blu ray) and it looked like they were right in front of me. Granted, the current tv I have is a 60' toshiba DLP which I got almost 5 years ago. Ah, not so good now

·
Registered
127 Posts
From what I heard in the stores and online is that extra yellow Quattron has is over powering or phony looking. Maybe good for cartoons and such. It probably can be adjusted. That's the main reason I stayed away. Oh and the repair depots rate the quality & reliability behind Pan, SAm and LG.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.