Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide what route to go.. my new HD set arrives saturday...

I have these choices...

1) Shaw Digital
2) Directv
3) E*
4) Starchoice

I cant hit BEV's sat so that option doesnt exist for me. I am currently running DTV, but I would have to change to a triple LNB dish and a new receiver, so apparently I have no option that I can choose where I dont have to spend some money...

All of the systems seem to cost about the same so I know I am in for about an $800 bill no matter what I choose, so I'd like some educated opinions...

My take on it so far is that the quickest "bang for the buck" would be Shaw Digital, but I am worried as Direct's programming in the past has been the best (IMHO) of any of the providers....

thanks

·
Banned
251 Posts
Re: Best HDTV choice

I don't know how you cannot get ExpressVu somehow if you can have DTV. It doesn't add up unless you are in an apartment building that is set just so. There is no question that BEV is now by far the best choice now that Nimiq II is launched. It won't be until March or April that we will start to see all of the extra HD programming from BEV but I am sure it will be worth it. Officially they say only 7 HD channels to start but other BEV officials have been stating between 12 and 16 plus there are also rumours of CTV starting up a Canadian version of Discovery HD Theatre and increased rumours of HDNet with 3 channels sans NHL. BEV now has the room and only Rogers and Shaw can keep up at this point but it depends on their collective wills.

I would rethink your inability to get BEV...there has to be a way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I CANNOT get Bev. Trust me. That's not the point of this post. Could someone please give me advice on the choices I have understanding that it is IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME TO GET THE BEV SAT. (no discussion of that topic unless you want to come over and do free blasting at my house king).

Thanks

PS.. oh yeah.. there is another way... I could sell my house and MOVE if I REALLY wanted to get BEV, but since I just bought this house and I can get every other sat AND digital cable, why not just ferget BEV altogether :roll:

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
My guess is the mountains are in the way as out west the DTV satellites are more southern than the BEV ones. As most of us in this forum (espessially human) don't promote breaking the law that leaves you with Shaw and *C. *C seems to be marking time till they are sold. Either way their future is uncertain and they have the same bad attitude as Shaw, rain fade and can't do VOD. Choice seems easy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda what I had heard.. unfortunate as I get a damn good signal off of *C.... best signal is with E*.. pins the meter on all sats, but it's been a long time since I subbed E* and I remember them being a real pain...

if my choice was strictly between E*, DTV and Shaw digital.... "legal" and "moral" issues aside, what would give me the most "bang fo rthe buck" assuming each otpion required the same initatial outlay of cash for the hardware?

thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am not familiar with what Shaw has to offer but I am assuming they have some HD channels and that is why you are considering them. That being the case this is what I would consider doing.

Call Shaw tell them you are considering switching to digital cable and get all the info on the costs, meaning equipment, installation, monthly bill. Ask if they are offering any specials on the equipment, such as a trade in on your existing DTV equipment. Try to bargin for a trade of your DTV system for a free cable STB and installation. By taking this approach I think you should be able to get the initial cost either very low or $0. Hum and haw a little while you are talking to them and mention you are considering other options as well. They don't know you can't get BEV.

The reason I would take this approach is due to the low initial investment. This will allow you to get HD at a low cost and if you find that in time the other options look substantially better you can switch without having wasted alot of money. As well there are a number of changes currently happening with equipment. Digital video outputs are just starting to appear and PVRs are being integrated as well. If you are going to invest big bucks in an HD STB you would want to have these features. A year from now you may regret not having these features when the equipment costs less and has them.

This is all based on my assumption Shaw has HD channels. If they don't I would go with *C. I think they are currently offering a 405 receiver and 201 sidecar for $459 net. ($599-$140 programming credit=$459net). This includes their simple satellite plan where they do installation, lifetime maintenance and warranty on the dish. Take the same approach on the trade in to save some money.

This is my opinion on what to do. I hope this helps a little. Let us know what you think and what your decision is. There are probably others in the same boat as you are.

T.

·
Banned
1,460 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind. Shaw carries the lower 50 or so channels in analogue. If you have a rockin Home Theater set up that could be important. Better time shifting on the Sats as well I guess.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shaw offers no deals... you have to buy the receiver and it's 700cdn before tax... so basically the cost of this is the same no matter what provider I choose, be it E*, Dave, Shaw or *C I am on the hook for 700 bones +/- .. this is why I am wondeing what the specific advantages (other than the legal issue which I consider to be moot) would be from choosing any service over the other..

thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
fish_antlers said:
Shaw offers no deals... you have to buy the receiver and it's 700cdn before tax... so basically the cost of this is the same no matter what provider I choose, be it E*, Dave, Shaw or *C I am on the hook for 700 bones +/- .. this is why I am wondeing what the specific advantages (other than the legal issue which I consider to be moot) would be from choosing any service over the other..

thanks
I suggest that you pick your programming first.
Want movies/premiums (HBO/Showtime); go American
Want US network programming; go Canadian

For HBO/Showtime, I would choose Dave because OTA HD is included. This makes resale easier and less cost to get in (RCA units are often on EBay)

For Canadian, I would choose SC because HDD201 decoder can be resold to 4DTV or SC subs. Also you can lease the decoder if you want to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right now Shaw is not renting their receiver. They likely will since Rogers is doing that. For myself, I think renting is the way to go. That way your not locked into buying equipment that will be obsolete in a hurry. If you decide that that *C is better down the road than you can switch and you havent invested too much. Now the only problem is that you have to hurry up and wait to see if Shaw will indeed rent their receiver. Damn, I hate waiting.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
fish_antlers said:
also... dct5100 (for shaw) is it 1080i or 720p? specs dont seem to say..
It can be set to output 1080i, 720p, 480p or 480i on the component video port. The composite video and S-Video port must be 480i.

·
Banned
6,296 Posts
fish_antlers said:
(no discussion of that topic unless you want to come over and do free blasting at my house king).
It just might be worth it to do some blasting ;)

It mounting the dish on a tower or in some other location a possibility?

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you get DTV you should get BEV. I had the same problen then I bought a Oval 18X24 triple LNB. I mounted 4 LNB on it and Suprisingly I got BEV at 65%. The oval shape helps and picks up 101, 110, 119 and 91. But when BEV get the new bird Im going to shift the LNBs over to pick up 82,91 and 101. I was going to go DTV HD route but the new bird changed my mind.

Tzz

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
this is like pounding a square peg through a round hole. I CANNOT hit the Bev bird.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh...

come here so I can slap ya!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I think what their trying to say is "buy an etch-a -sketch before buying SC HD."

Sorry man but it pains us to see someone else fall down the same hole we did. :wink:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh come on now.
I have SC HD and it isn't as bad as some of you make it out to be.
Granted they WERE aweful for a while but they have improved considerably since most of you ex SC HD subs left.

Of course another alternative is 4DTV if he can put up a BUD and see from G10 to C4.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.