Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not my boot drive but a 2nd drive for data.

I physically installed the drive without issue. It is recognized by the BIOS and Windows Disk Management.

However they only see it as a 750gig disk. I see lots of references to hard limits of 2.2TB with 32 bit windows. What do I need to do to get Windows to see the 3TB (or 2.2 if that is a hard limit)?

Thanks

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So having researched a bit more, it looks like an upgrade to Vista (or Windows 7) gets around the 2.2TB limit. But the fact that the system sees the drive as only 750GB suggests a problem with BIOS and/or the hard disk controller. I'm afraid of paying for an O/S upgrade and still being faced with the same problem :)

I'm not at all a hardware person. Can I get around this by installing a card that provides SATA ports? Does this bypass any limitations that I might have with the motherboard on my system?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Seems that you'll need Windows Vista or 7 along with a SATA controller card that can handle 64-bit LBAs (Western Digital supplies the Highpoint Rocket 620 card with its 3TB drives now).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The really annoying thing is that I bought this machine a few years ago to use as a music server. It had Vista Home pre-installed, but I couldn't get the Prismiq software to run on it, so I installed XP Professional on it instead.

Fast forward to today and the Prismiq is long gone, being replaced by SageTV, but now I can't re-install Vista using the OEM disk that came with the machine. It won't let me 'upgrade' from XP Pro to Vista Home. I have to do a clean install, wiping out everything. Sigh.

Anyway thanks. I'll look for that SATA controller card.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Frankly, I'd suggest bypassing Vista and getting a full Win 7 upgrade disk. Then do a clean install, preferably.
You won't regret it.

You should also be able to port your data files with MS's "Easy Transfer" tool.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There are lots of obstacles in using very large drives in WinXP. I think you need 64bit Win7 as well as BIOS and/or controller updates. Another issue is the MFT partition table limit. IIRC, a GUID Partition Table (GPT) is required beyond 2TB. Another is that many versions of FDISK will not work with drives over 2TB or with GPT.

Maybe it's best just to stick with 2TB drives in older systems. Even then, you will be faced with the sector alignment problem and possible slow performance with WinXP. Win7 handles 4kb sectors properly.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just a question...

What would happen if he took that drive to a machine that recognized 3TB and partitioned it to two 1.5TBs?

Would there still be a problem with the older system and MB recognizing it?

(Haven't done extensive hardware stuff lately.... :) )

Cameron

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
ScaryBob: Your advice is correct if he wanted to boot from the drive (needing a motherboard that supported UEFI, 64-bit version of Windows, etc). For a secondary drive, it seems you'd just need a SATA controller and Vista/7 (32-bit even). XP doesn't support the GPT partition table that would be needed to handle the drive.

CamDAB: That won't work, since you would still need to use 64-bit LBA addressing to access the whole drive. This goes deeper than the file system level (for example, the FAT16 limit of 2GB partition sizes).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spent some time looking for a SATA controller. It's hard to find one that would support large drives, is PCI, and isn't hugely expensive.

I have 1 PCI-E x16 slot, but the computer spec lists it as being available for a graphics card. I don't know if it's general purpose.

I think I'll try an OS upgrade (it's long overdue anyway) and go from there.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
PCI-e x16 slots will accept any PCI-e card (be it 1x, 4x, or 16x). It may look odd, but I did that myself when I had an ASUS Xonar D2X soundcard.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I could physically install any PCI-e card in the slot, but the computer spec listed the PCI-e slot under the "graphics" section and not under the expansion cards section. It makes me wonder if you can only use it for a graphics card.

Unless such a card is $20-30 I don't feel like buying one to try it :)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I recently picked up a 2 port SATA II PCIe card from Monoprice that was under $20. Nice little card from a reputable maker too.

As to the 2TB limit on Win32, BGY11 is probably correct. I may have had a 3GB RAID array under WinXP32. Or was it WinXP64? Don't really remember 100%.

PCI-e x16 slots will accept 1x, 4x and PCI-e cards. I've done it on a couple of PCs with different types of cards. PCIe 16x slots are designed to accept graphics cards but they can also serve as generic PCIe slots. That's the beauty of the PCIe spec.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you check you mobo manufacturer for a possible BIOS update?

+1 on a clean Windows 7 install

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. No BIOS update is available.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well after installing Windows 7 (32 bit) I can use the full capacity of this disk, so I won't be needing a separate controller card.

I have to split it into two partitions (2TB + 800GB) but that is not an issue for me, in fact that works better.

Thanks for the assistance!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I declared victory a little too quickly :(

In Disk Manager I saw two unallocated regions on the disk. 2TB + 800GB. I selected the first and created a "simple volume". Following that I selected the 2nd smaller region but I cannot do anything with it (all menu choices are greyed out).

Should I have chosen something other than "simple volume" for the first region? To be honest I can't even remember if other options were presented to me or not.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
David, have you visited the support section of the manufacturers website? When I was on the Seagate site a while back, they had detailed instructions on how to use 3TB drives on non-UEFI motherboards.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did start there (Hitachi). It was there I first found out about the issues with XP and large drives, despite the nice 'support for XP' logo printed on the box. Ha

I think I know the problem. While on XP I 'initialized' the new disk, which would have marked it for use with MBR, having a 2TB limit. When I get the chance I will try to 'Convert to GPT' which should get me over 2TB. Should. Maybe. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I have a nice 3TB volume to play with now. Thanks everyone!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts