Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone identify this cable:

LL82959 CXC FT4 Commscope inc E83032A (UL) CATV.

I'm trying to determine if it is RG6 or RG59. I've tried google but can't find anything.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Does it have an gauge written on it? (ex 20 AWG)

·
Registered
217 Posts
found this link

http://www.tevelec.com/RFQCartAdd.asp?sPartNumber=T4507

it also has the "cxc ft4" type designation in it - which is an RG59 cable - different manufacturer but same type, which leads me to believe that you likely have an RG59 cable

Here's how you can tell the differences between RG6 & RG59
  • RG-6 Usually has an 18 gauge center conductor, while RG-59 has 20 gauge
  • RG-59 has a small center conductor, a smaller foam dielectric and single shield.
  • RG-6 has a larger center conductor, a larger foam dielectric and double or quad shield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much of a difference in width are we talking?

I have a RG59 cable as reference to compare to. It is visibly a little thinner than the cable in question. However, it's a little hard to quantify given my tools at hand. The entire RG59 cable measures about 6mm in diameter while the cable in question is slightly more (perhaps as high as 6.5mm). Would this amount of difference indicate RG60 or is it just within the expected differences of an RG59.

Similarly, the centre conductor of the cable in question looks thicker (close to but under 1mm in diameter) than the RG59 (close to but over 0.5mm).

Thank you very much for your responses so far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Brian, if the cable only has a single shield (braided) it will definately be RG59. Use a stripper or a knife to strip off the outer plastic layer and take a look at the shielding.

RG59 cables can be purchased in different gauges (therefore different diameters of inner conductors) so both cables may indeed be RG59.

Can I ask what you will be using this cable for?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Is there by any chance a connector on one end.? If so, are there markings on that.?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts