Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Co-worker gave me a small gift for my daughter to do her homework. It's his old Dell Laptop. Brought home and got everyone excited about it but when I tried to plug an ethernet cable to it I realized... no plug!

There does not seem to be a place to plug a network cable that I brought to the room from the router in the living room.

I am thinking maybe a USB wifi adapter but is there a better solution? do these things already have a network card but just a different connection?

It is a Dell Latitude CPi A Laptop. though the sticker says designed for Windows 98 and windows NT it seems to be running Windows XP. Not sure what other info you guys might need.

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,309 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Put Kubuntu or some other "old hardware" linux on it. Nobody has any business running 98 anymore, except for nostagic purposes.

For the network adapter, a PC-card G adapter is likely best, assuming you have a wireless network. Be sure the one you get is Linux compatible.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
OP said the laptop is running XP. And his daughter would probably be more comfortable in a Windows environment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts