Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
@hercules130,

That sounds pretty good to me, I'd rather wait and see it without commercials. I know first 3 seasons are available on Prime but didn't know how long it takes before they show up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, it's not available in CBS All Access in Canada until the episodes air on W. I doubt it will be on Prime in Canada anytime soon.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have no idea when Prime Canada first got TGF season 3, maybe someone else does.
I suppose it's possible that CBS Access will keep the streaming rights in Canada from this season onwards, time will tell.
Also wonder if CBS cares all that much about Canada.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
CBS mostly cares about the money they get from Canadian broadcasters for the rights to broadcast in Canada. Selling to Canadian broadcasters is more lucrative than CBS All Access. If streaming on CBS All Access or any other service threatens those revenues then it will not happen. As long as the CRTC keeps protecting Canadian broadcasters and the oligopoly that controls them then that situation is not likely to change.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
The Good Fight only shot 7 of the 10 episodes, then had to pause the release schedule for a week to catch up on post-production of episode 3. (Deadline)

https://www.justwatch.com/ca/tv-show/the-good-fight/season-4 says Season 4 is available on CBSAA in Canada, but it looks messed up. Can anyone with a sub confirm?

The Good Fight, season 3 was added to Prime Canada March 15, 2020. (Link) I don't know when it was added to CBSAA Canada.

CBS mostly cares about the money they get from Canadian broadcasters for the rights to broadcast in Canada.
Let me fix that for you: CBS mostly cares about the money they get from [everybody] for the rights to [do anything with their shows] in [the world].

Here's the deal they signed with Amazon for The Good Fight in 2018, showing how skillfully they exploit international rights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Season 4 is not on CBSAA in Canada.

As I recall, Season 3 episodes were available a week after they aired on W. This is normal for the current shows on CBSAA. One week after they were broadcast by the Canadian rights holder.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
What about Picard? They didn't dream that show up until after CBSAAC was running - so no excuse not to at least have the secondary rights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Picard was sold to Bell for CTV Scifi and Crave. Obviously they concluded they could make more $ this way than keeping the rights for themselves. Nothing wrong with CBS wanting to make more.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I thought some CBSAA-exclusive programs were still not available on their Canadian service long after they'd aired in Canada. Or has this changed?
Star Trek: Discovery, Star Trek: Picard, The Good Fight, The Twilight Zone are all shows that are exclusive on CBSAA in the United States, but are not available on CBSAA in Canada as their rights are held by Canadian broadcasters; respectively Bell, Bell, Corus, Rogers.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
The Good Fight now too? When I had a free preview of CBSAAC back when it launched, that's about all they did have!

·
Registered
147 Posts
In the past The Good Fight was available a week after the episode was shown on W. No season 4 episodes have been shown on W so none are available on CBSAA.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Non-exclusive licensing for shows from previous years is not that uncommon. Being a new season, the latest episodes will be licensed exclusively to W for the initial airing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh, but Season 1 through 3 are still there? Bizarrely they are on Prime as well.
Yes, seasons 1 to 3 are still available on CBSAA.

I've seen (a few/several?) shows available on Prime as well as on other services. Netflix, CBS, CBC Gem. Not sure about Crave although I'm not sure if I can see Bell agreeing to a non-exclusive arrangement. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Does anyone know where you can find season 2 of 'In the Dark' in Canada?
I watched season 1 on the CW but since switching to Rogers ignite, I don't get the CW or KTLA, they're only available in ( I think from memory) the US time shifting addon.
CTV apparently showed season 1 but it's not listing Season 2 which started last week.
The CW was showing up on my guide and it even allowed me to set up a recording but it didn't happen.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
CTV aired In the Dark after it aired on The CW and Bravo last year. CTV Drama (formerly Bravo) still has the show page from season one, but it doesn't look like anyone picked up the Canadian rights for season two. I think CTV only aired season one over the summer because Bell Media had already paid for the rights, so don't expect season 2. CTV often airs a rerun of one of the specialty channel shows over the summer as cheap (free) filler.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@Dr. Dave,

Thanks, I hadn't realized that CTV showed it after it had aired on The CW. I was hoping they might be holding it back until they can show the complete season.
It's nothing great but very easy to watch and I like the characters in it.
I suppose even if I subscribed to The CW now, I would still miss the first episodes.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
@bluedrongo I'm not aware of any (legal) way to catch up on the first 2 episodes. Netflix has season 1 in the U.S., so they may get season 2 after it finishes airing on The CW. They may even get season 2 in Canada, if you're lucky.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts