Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
321 - 340 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Oh yes 57 I know we have a Crave subscription so we get lots of HBO shows but why would Bell Canada talk about HBO Max by name in a Cdn press release instead of just saying that HBO shows will be on Crave?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #323 ·
Because HBO Max is separate from HBO. Made for Love, for example. It is an HBO Max show but carried by Prime Video in Canada. As well, Bell put HBO Max shows on Crave channels, not HBO-proper channels. Peacemaker for example. OTOH, all HBO shows are always on HBO-proper.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Because HBO Max is separate from HBO. Made for Love, for example. It is an HBO Max show but carried by Prime Video in Canada.
Yes but they didn't say "the Tourist a HBO Max show is coming to Crave" they said "THE TOURIST, Starring Jamie Dornan, Debuts March 3 on HBO Max" when nobody who gets Bell can get HBO Max. Maybe they just copied and pasted what they got from HBO and made a mistake! Right below the big headline it says "THE TOURIST premieres Thursday, March 3 on Crave" so at lest they got that right!

Okay just for fun I googled and it was easy to find here's what the HBO press release said:

THE TOURIST, Starring Jamie Dornan, Debuts March 3 on HBO Max

And if you read the rest it's the same too THE TOURIST, Starring Jamie Dornan, Debuts March 3 on HBO Max .

Anyway, sorry to take up so much space I think it was just a mistake b'cuz the other ones ppl have linked to from Crave haven't said that. Oh and btw we'll try the show. :)

we now return you to your regularly scheduled TV discussion... :)

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Good points but we already know that Crave airs original HBO and HBO+ programming on it's HBO Canada service at the same time as HBO. The Crave service does the same for Showtime programming. A subscription to Crave with HBO and Starz includes HBO, HBO+, Showtime and STARZ original programming on both the linear and streaming services. I see no reason to get picky about cut and paste news releases. There are worse things about Crave to criticize, such as lack of 4K and other technical issues.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Oh I wasn't complaing just confused! Like you say probably just a bad copy and paste. Sorry about your 4K we don't have a 4K TV so doesn't matter to us but I'm sure it does to ppl with 4K TVs. Also we are grateful to get Crave and all there HBO and Showtime shows!

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Anyone know where Canadians will be able to watch The Tourist, a 6 part mini series with Jamie Dornan?
According to this Deadline article, HBO Max joined The Tourist’s commissioning partners BBC One and Stan as a co-producer and acquired the US streaming rights. International sales will be handled by global partner All3Media International, so it could end up on just about any service in Canada. I would watch for an HBO Max release date in the U.S. and check again. Crave has piggy-backed on HBO Max international productions before, although CBC Gem is another possibility.
Here's an update from the Crave thread. Bell Media even deleted their original press release.
Regarding The Tourist airing in Canada, it appears that Bell jumped the gun. I noticed it was not included yesterday with the Crave March releases. Amazon Prime Video Canada is showing it as a March 4th release according to iphoneincanada.ca..

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
Even though Amazon owns IMDB TV, it has a mixed record of streaming those series outside the U.S. For example, it did pick up the rights to stream Alex Rider on Amazon in a handful of countries including Canada, however, it didn't licence Leverage: Redemption which aired on CTV Drama, or Judy Justice which isn't available in Canada at all.

Crave also has all 7 seasons of Bosch, so Bell Media may also have rights to the spinoff under their original contract. So it could end up on any combination of Amazon Prime, Crave, a Bell Media linear channel, a free ad-supported digital series on CTV.ca, or none of the above.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Even though Amazon owns IMDB TV, it has a mixed record of streaming those series outside the U.S. For example, it did pick up the rights to stream Alex Rider on Amazon in a handful of countries including Canada, however, it didn't licence Leverage: Redemption which aired on CTV Drama, or Judy Justice which isn't available in Canada at all.

Crave also has all 7 seasons of Bosch, so Bell Media may also have rights to the spinoff under their original contract. So it could end up on any combination of Amazon Prime, Crave, a Bell Media linear channel, a free ad-supported digital series on CTV.ca, or none of the above.
But isn't it an Amazon Original?
If it is then I would be very surprised if it doesn't stream on Prime.Certainly hope so.

·
Registered
10,437 Posts
Bosch was originally aired and is still on Prime Video. It has since been licensed on a non-exclusive basis to Crave and, possibly, to other services elsewhere. I expect that any Amazon produced Bosch sequels will receive the same treatment.

·
Super Moderator
19,646 Posts
But isn't it an Amazon Original?
If it is then I would be very surprised if it doesn't stream on Prime.Certainly hope so.
"Amazon Original" is mostly a marketing term that varies by country and is subject to interpretation. It doesn't mean that Amazon owns the world-wide rights. Bell Media licensed Bosch from Red Arrow International as a "Project Latte Exclusive" (the code-name for what later became CraveTV.) Red Arrow holds the international rights to Bosch. Amazon Prime Video didn't launch in Canada until later.

Keep in mind that Amazon Prime won't stream the spinoff in the U.S., so it's hard to say what will happen in other countries.

·
Registered
90 Posts
"Amazon Original" is mostly a marketing term that varies by country and is subject to interpretation. It doesn't mean that Amazon owns the world-wide rights. Bell Media licensed Bosch from Red Arrow International as a "Project Latte Exclusive" (the code-name for what later became CraveTV.) Red Arrow holds the international rights to Bosch. Amazon Prime Video didn't launch in Canada until later.

Keep in mind that Amazon Prime won't stream the spinoff in the U.S., so it's hard to say what will happen in other countries.
Thanks for all of the detailed info Dr. Dave. If Bell does not have the rights from the original series, I would think that based on the popularity of the original series, Amazon would pick the series up for Canada, as well as other territories around the world. That's what I am hoping for anyway.

·
Registered
402 Posts

Just found this on Tampa Bay Times that Bosch: Legacy finds Harry retired, but still working as a private detective. It will air on IMDb TV, a free, ad-supported streaming service, and on Amazon Prime starting May 6.
So it appears that it will be shown on Amazon Prime in US, so would be very unlikely not to be on Prime in Canada.

Plus, it is produced by Fabrik Entertainment for Amazon Sudios according to Wiki.
I did see that Red Arrow Studios International had bought the European rights, maybe that's all they have?

321 - 340 of 366 Posts