Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at purchasing a new HDTV. Is LCD still the best option besides LED?

I'm looking at the Samsung LN40C530.

Is that a good buy? I have heard Samsung is a good name. And 1080p is full HD right?

Do new TV's come with 2-prong cords or 3-prong cords?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same model since 1 month. This TV has Media Player which can play movies, photos, music from external USB HDD. 1080p is full HD. Image quality is good. I'm satisfy with my choice.

·
Registered
458 Posts
LED is a backlight.
you can have a LCD with a florescent backlight (older tech)
and you can have an LCD with LED back light. There are variations to the LED backlighting.
there is edgelit backlight with or with out local dimming. and you can have full array LED backlighting with or without local dimming.

examples in the sony line up. HX909 is a full array local dimming LED LCD
the HX800 is a edge lit local dimming LED LCD
HX701 is a CCFL (florescent) backlit
EX600 is edge lit LED LCD

I have read that there is no real advantage in picture quality btwn edgelit LED and florescent. Edge lit would give you lower energy useage and a thinner tv.

IMO full array local dimming LED LCD is the way to go(but too much $$$ right now)
(full array = LED behind the full rear of screen. allowing for sections to be turned off or down (local dimming) for better blacks.

i got the sony 40hx800 on boxing day (insane price) and love it. edge lit local dimming LED LCD and the blacks are impressive. even better than my "old" panasonic 50S1 plasma

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Edge lit is cheaper to produce and usually not as good. Edge lit is more prone to uneven lighting on the panel and doesn't have as deep blacks. Having said that, I have a Sony edge lit LED LCD TV and it looks perfect to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
No matter what you buy, the TV will be good. LCD LED can be bought in several flavours. There is Full array local dimming, where LED's are spread across the back of the TV panel and are dimmed locally. Or LED edge lit local dimming; where sections around the edge are dimmed in order to provide better black levels in the panel. Edge lit with no local dimming is probably worse than standard florescent lighting. For LCD's, so far, LED with local dimming has been observed as the best for this format, followed by LED Edge lit local dimming.

I have a Sony NX 710 LED with edge lit local dimming. I'm very satisfied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts