Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,842 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback.

I think I'm looking at spending no more than $1K for a receiver and 5.1 speaker setup.

How would you guys compare the Polk Audio RM75BD to the Energy RC-Micros?
Bearing in mind that I'm no audiophile. Do you think I would hear a difference?
Now that you have provided an idea of your budget, can you now provide the size of the room where you'll be using the HT? Will you also be playing music on that system? What percentage use for music versus HT percentage? It's easy for everyone to lead you in spending thousands of $$$$ but will spending that kind of money on your part justified, that is what needs to be determined. BTW, IMHO depending on your answers on the above, those Polk satellites might make for a good entry level for you as many on this board acquired similar (RM10s) in the past and are quite content.

You always get what you pay for but the big concern is to make sure you get what you need, no more no less.

BTW, have you considered going use? When properly threated speakers last forever and you of course get more bang for the same $$$ spent ;) Also, do you presently own decent speakers which you could use temporarly with an HT AVR and you could upgrade as money comes available.

Now, when it comes to audio your hears are your best ally and you should NOT rely on a forum to guide you into what speakers to buy but should get out there and demo some ;)

Cheers!
TK

· Registered
2,842 Posts
!

I actually recently bought a set of the Polk RM75BD (with the PSW111) for $299 (soon after they were no longer listed on the store's site), but haven't opened the box yet. I haven't bought a new receiver yet, and as you can tell, I also haven't decided if these are the speakers for me as of yet. The problem I'm having is that most of the other speakers I'm considering would be online orders (haven't found them in store), so returning them would be a pain (possibly with some costs associated - restocking fee, return shipping).
Then, you do not have anything to loose. Go and buy a decent receiver and plug them and demo them. If you have been using an HTIB in the past, this small bookshelf set will definitely be an improvement.

Now, as far as receivers: I like Yamaha but some people claim that the Yamaha will run the Polk too bright. I never experience that.

A brand I never cared for but many people will favor with Polk speakers is Onkio. Generally in runs hot compared to most receivers but it is just a matter of allowing extra breeding space for it.

Pioneer is a well respected brand and many on here have reported good results with Polk speakers. I however think Pioneer is not necessary the best bang for the buck.

Make sure you buy a receiver from a store with good return policy. Buy, audition and return if not satisfactory. If you had done this with your speakers it would have been much easier for you to make a sound decision (sound decision ;) ).

Cheers!
TK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.