Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just tweaked my Windows xp installation the way I like it, and now its time to backup my data!
I just bought Acronis True Image home 2010 and I have some questions.
Now when I go through the options to create an image of my entire 15GB installation, I am presented by a check box that says "back up sector by sector" What is the difference between sector by sector back and and regular back up?

Will the regular backup option backup my OS state and settings as well?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am using an older version of Acronis. I would suggest full disk backbup but not sector by sector. The image will only contain sectors that are occupied...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, 3456!
I just made an image of my entire disk.
Is there a way I can test to see if the procedure worked?
I Don't have a second computer, so will virtualbox work or maybe a live CD?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
What is the difference between sector by sector back and and regular back up?
Regular backup just backs up the sectors with data in them. Sector by sector backs up every sector on the disk. Use the regular backup for FAT, NTFS and EXT2/3 file systems. If the disk contains a file system that TI does not understand, use sector by sector.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a second hard drive which I use to test my backup procedure from time to time... Not sure how to check this without a full restore. Validating the backup from Acronis is one step but I am not sure I would trust that by itself...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am thinking to burn a Live CD using acronis and I am going to download Virtualbox and hopefully it boots.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I doubt Virtualbox will be useful for this process. A second drive is the best bet. It could be internal or external SATA. USB should also work but Windows might choke during boot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I have to format my second hard drive from EXT 4 to FAT 32 and ill give it a try.
I hope this wont erase by Ubuntu 10.04 installation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts