Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! This is my first post although I have been lurking around here for a while... great forums for us Canucks! :D

Anyway, I have just recently purchased a Toshiba 51H84 and subscribed to Rogers' HDTV service. Both big screen TV and HDTV are new to me, so needless to say I have been mightily impressed. However, I am finding the aspect ratio a little confusing. Through reading FAQs and various forum postings, I was under the impression that 1). HDTV signals are (usually) natively wide-screen, and 2). that Toshiba cannot stretch 1080i signals. However, when viewing any of my new HDTV channels in "Natural", I see black bars on the left and right but not on top or bottom. Doesn't that mean the signal is actually 4:3? In addition, I AM actually able to stretch it in TW1-3, but not Full. Doesn't that mean the signal is not 1080i?

Currently I use TW-1 to view all of my TV channels, HD or not, and am quite happy with the result. However I am just curious about the questions above. For your reference, my SAB is a 3000HD, and it is connected to my Toshiba via a component video cable.

As a related question, I have also purchased a Panasonic SC-HT920 HTIB as my foray into home theatre. There again I find the aspect ratio and zoom confusing. Anybody else using this HTIB with a Toshiba TV?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Andy

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have an H82 model Toshiba, and the 'correct' use of the stretch options should work like this:

Natural - For HD signals that are natively widescreen. If you're on an HD station and there are still black bars on the sides, then it isn't a native HD signal and you can use the TW1 setting

TW1 - To avoid potential burn-in, I use TW1 for almost all 4:3 programming. It's a non-linear stretch that leaves the center of the image pretty much unchanged.

TW2 - I use this for NON-ANAMORPHIC, or 'letterboxed' DVD's

TW3 - Another ZOOM option, some people might prefer this to the TW1.

FULL - This is used when watching ANAMORPHIC DVD's or '16:9 Enhanced' DVD's. It will 'unsqueeze' the anamorphic image so that it is displayed in the correct aspect ratio.

Also, I thought I had heard that the H84 line wasn't able to stretch HD signals. If this is the case, and you are able to use the stretch modes on HD stations, then something might be wrong with the way your rogers box is hooked up.

One last thing, with the Toshiba H82 line it would allow you to stretch 1080i signals with TW1-3, but it would leave the FULL option greyed out. This sounds like the same thing you're seeing, so it's possible that the HD stretch feature has been re-implemented.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys!

Thanks guys! I think I have figured out what is going on. Indeed some HD channels when displayed in Natural fills the entire screen - I suppose these are the ones where the signal is natively HD.

With that comes my next problem. Is there any way to set the TV to automatically switch to the appropriate stretch mode - ie, switch to TW-1 for non-HD signal, and Natural for HD signal?

tat2: I have the 3100HD. I will however try to upgrade to 3250HD soon.

StreetPreacher: I use the exact same stretch modes as you do. Don't you find it annoying to need to switch between Natural and TW-1 when flipping through HD channels, though?

Johnny: Thanks for the info!

Andy

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Unfortunately, while there may be lots of HD channels available through Rogers Cable, precious few actually transmit real HD programs, especially the Canadian channels. All of the HD channels do transmit in HD 16:9 widescreen, but if the original program is only in SD 4:3, the network will add the black (or grey in the case of CBS) to the picture and then transmit it in HD 16:9. There is no way for your Tosh to acurately guess which stretch mode to use for which program as all HD channels are 16:9 broadcasts. You'll have to do it the manual way.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
tat2: I have the 3100HD. I will however try to upgrade to 3250HD soon.
Upgrading this will fix this issue for you to a large degree. You can set it up to automatically change output resolutions when tuned to non-HD channels. So, when tuned to a 'regular' channel, the 3250HD can be set to output a 480i or 480p signal, and your TV will automagically go into the last-used stretch mode. Then, when you switch to an HD channel, it'll automagically go to full screen. This won't work with 4:3 programs transmitted within an HD signal, but the 3250HD has it's own stretch modes that you can use for this if you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.