Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gauge, quality, shielded/unshielded wire should I look for to run a 25-30 foot headphone extension to a wall jack?

I am putting some headphones jacks behind our sofa so that we can watch movies without waking junior. I want to run a line from the headphone-out on the receiver through the wall to a wall plate behind the sofa.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I am using a Radio Shack shielded mini 1/8 stereo headphone extention that is 30' long for my Sennheisers and for analogue out from my HTPC to my receiver (depending on which way the tunes are flowing).

No hum. No buzz etc.

I don't know if the wall plate will drop a lot of signal though.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you talking about this one Filper?

Actually now that I think about it my headphones have a detactable cord so I can just run a line out from the wall and into the headphones. If that is the case then 30 feet male to male 1/8 would be perfect. Can you verify that is what you have?

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Mine doesn't have the gold plated connectors, but ya, it should be fine and dandy (Tandy).

If not take it back.

I've had mine for 4 yrs now, no problemo.

I leave the female end as is (hmmm) and just plug my phones into the extention. Damned if I can notice any sound loss.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
I've been using one with the larger (1/4") (for real headphones and headphone jacks ;) ) for years. I believe it's 25' or so.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
57 said:
I've been using one with the larger (1/4") (for real headphones and headphone jacks ;) ) for years. I believe it's 25' or so.
Yeah yeah so yours is an eight of an inch thicker than mine! It is not the size that matters right .... so long as it is tight :eek: ... oh er .... I mean so long as it makes good contact.

Seriously though 57, I may pick up the 1/4" version as they seem to be about the same price and have a thicker conductor. Thanks for the tip.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
What size is the headphone jack on your headphones? If it's not 1/4, then you'll also need an adaptor - about $6 - make sure you get a stereo adaptor, not mono.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts