Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just purchased a Toshiba 51H84C at FS and they throw-in a Rogers Starter Kit which provides a free HD PVR or HD STB, for 6 or 10 months respectively. The question is, which one should I get? :confused:

Facts:

HD PVR Offer:
6 months rental free
6 months HD programming free
6 months HDTV speciality pak free

or

HD STB Offer:
10 months rental free
10 months HD programming free
10 months HDTV speciality pak free

I would really like to try the PVR offer, but I am not sure that I want to pay the PVR price after 6 months (although the actual price escapes me right now). Also, I was never a big show taper, so I am not sure that I would actually use the PVR.

What have other people done?

I am sorry if this has been posted before. I searched in the Rogers forum, but did not find a specific thread on this, just mentions of it in other threads.

Thanks guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
After 6 months, return the PVR if you do not want to keep it. You can start to rent the HD STB (SA3250) at that time, or do without one if you do not want to watch HD, or you want to use your OTA.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Try the HD PVR. I love mine. Here's why:

It will change the way you watch TV. You can rewind or pause live TV at ANY time. So let's say you get a phone call while you're watching your favourite show. Just put the TV on pause. There is a buffer of an hour. Or if you have to go to the bathroom, you don't have to wait for a commercial. In fact, you can fast forward through the commercials after you're done in the bathroom.

You can also record as you have said. Way easier than using your vcr.

I bought my PVR. But if you want to rent, I think the rental is $24.99. The HD specialty pak is $4.95 per month. IT gives you TSN, Discovery and some Seattle U.S. channels. There is a PVR service fee of $1.99. So if my math is right, you would spend $32 if you want the entire package.

I'm sure others will comment but that's my two cents.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Get the PVR, at least to try it, and after the 6 months you can always switch to the standard HD box. I NEVER watch live TV anymore. Watching on a PVR is like watching regular TV, EXCEPT YOU are the program scheduler.

No loss in quality of picture (unlike VCR tapes)
Records DD and HD. (unlike VCR tapes)

I will never go back to a regular digital terminal on ANY of the Satellite/Cable offerings.

PVR is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Simple. A PVR will change your life and the way you watch TV forever.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Also, in time, the PVR will bring world peace, bring Katie Holmes back to the land of the sane, and insure that you wake up beside Tara Reid for the rest of your life.

OK...maybe that Tara Reid thing isn't exactly a selling point. But on the plus side, you can talk to her for hours (about what?) before she notices that her breasts are exposed.

PVR's are *THAT* great. :)

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Let me put it this way.

I did the Realchoice thing and got a PVR because I knew what it would do. When I told my wife, she could care less.

Three days later...

SHE tells ME she NEEDS one in the bedroom. That is in addition to the one that we already had.

Get the PVR.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not neccessarilly the same question, but an odd one none the less. I too have just bought a tv and got the starter kit. However, I took advanatage of the Winback offer and got a lifetime free rental of the 8300HD PVR. I don't have any use for another one. Do you think they'd be able to credit my account for the value of it? Or, maybe I could give the 6 month rental to a friend who's "thinking" about getting one of the boxes but is not sure if it's worth it....

Thanks,
Rib

·
Registered
71 Posts
Be VERY CAREFUL about asking for this credit. I bought my 8300HD (at FS) and had to talk to MANY CSR's to get credit for this package. This was after I received a rental 8300HD box (to take advantage of the offer) and returned it. And in the end, all they would give me was the $4.95 HD specialty package for 6 months after I returned the box.

All that hassle (about 8 calls to Rogers, 2 of which were with a manager) for $30 ($4.95 x 6 months). It's not worth it.

Take my advice. Pass the starter kit to a friend. They'll really appreciate it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I bought a new Sony 17" HD TV (doubles as a computer monitor) 11 days ago, but the Sony Stores at Yorkdale and Fairview malls haven't had any of the Rogers HD Starter kits available. I called Rogers today and they put in the order for my HD terminal, and gave me the address to send a copy of the receipt, to get the 10 month deal of free HDTV. The second gal I talked to who set it up for me was quite helpful, and nice to deal with. :p

·
Registered
29 Posts
So they'll let you pass it off to a friend? That's ok too. I just want the free programming.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
All Rogers wants is more future business. I'm sure that they would be OK with a non-PVR subscriber using the kit. More potential business. Just make sure that the person who calls in is the account holder, give Rogers the campaign code, the number on the certificate inside the starter kit. Then send in the certificate with proof of purchase of the TV. Even if your name is on the receipt, you did give the TV as a gift to your FRIEND, right? ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wel...it might get tricky then. I want the programming.....free programming for the deal. I also want to allow my friend to use the reciever, although he does not have an HD tv...but rogers don't know that. Do you think they'll allow this? I mean, there are already some free (included with some packages) HD content and he could say that he does have an HD TV and would like to see if it's worth it.....

Or, I could go out an buy another tv... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rogers won't allow that, but...

Get your friend to pay you $5 per month for 6 months (actually $5.75 incl taxes). That way you get the "free" programming, and your buddy gets 6 months use of a PVR for a measly $30 + tax.

The $30 was all I got from Rogers. So you'll be getting the same deal as me.

Win-win, right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, I got the package but here's the drawback. When I called to get the HD Packages (promotion for buying an HDTV), I was just going to get the package and take the extra terminal for 10 months. This would have been just a normal HD Terminal (No PVR). Then I asked when the programming would become active and they told me to call them when my terminal got here. They then went on to say that the HD package is tied in to the terminal that they were shipping and was only available on that terminal even though I already had an 8300 PVR. So, I had to get the HD PVR for 6 months to actually get what I wanted. This also involves tearing apart my HT to swap the boxes out. It does and doesn't make sense why they did this, but there was nothing she could do for me. So now I'm 'stuck' with two HD PVR's but only one HD TV....:rolleyes:. Then at the end of the promotion (6 months), I'll need to send one back and set everything up again....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is the starter kit offer only at FS?

I just bought a new hd tv from The Brick. Can I just go into FS and by the kit for $19.99? Does Rogers care if the tv receipt I send in isn't from FS?

·
Registered
35 Posts
jamieadig said:
I just bought a new hd tv from The Brick. Can I just go into FS and by the kit for $19.99? Does Rogers care if the tv receipt I send in isn't from FS?
I bought the starter kit from the FS website w/o a TV. I e-mailed Rogers support (posted above) and they said they would honour it. Even though I already have HD service. I haven't got around to activating it because I have a feeling I will have to exchange my STB.

·
Registered
19 Posts
won't sell it to me

Stoopid37 said:
I bought the starter kit from the FS website w/o a TV. I e-mailed Rogers support (posted above) and they said they would honour it. Even though I already have HD service. I haven't got around to activating it because I have a feeling I will have to exchange my STB.
Went to BB and tried to by the Rogers HD starter kit but they won't sell it to me. Price comes up as 1 cent at the register. They will sell the Rogers basic digital kit for $19.99. I walked over to FS and they have the same pricing HD for $0.01 and basic for $19.99. I didn't even try to bring it to the cash.

The FS website only shows the basic kit no the HD.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts