Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing an old Starchoice set top box with an HDPVR. The old cable box had among others a coax output which I use to send a signal to a Hauppauge WinTV card in the kitchen computer. The HDPVR630 has two HDMI outputs - is there a device that I can use to convert HDMI to coax at the the pvr and continue to use the same PCIe card in the computer? Alternatively with a 45ft long HDMI cable is there a way to do the conversion at the destination? Further does anyone know of a product that (assuming I'm replacing the desktop m/c with a laptop, which I have under consideration) will interface an hdmi TV signal with a USB2 port?

From comprehensive enquiries at retailers, online resellers etc. all I get is this "may work, no guarantees" (related to HDCP I believe) and I have seen prices for various components from $150 to $500. If anyone actually is using the HDPVR630 in this way, trouble-free, I would be delighted to know what DOES work! - Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
The 630 only has 1 HDMI port. The one below it is an eSata port for an external drive.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
with a 45ft long HDMI cable
50' is the maximum design length for HDMI. Depending on equipment, cable and environment, it may or may not work. An HDMI repeater with shorter cables may be necessary. HDMI can be split with an HDMI splitter box. An active splitter will act as a repeater.

a Hauppauge WinTV card in the kitchen computer
Some ways to do this:
1. Feed the composite video and analog audio into an RF modulator and use the coax to the PC. This will work but video quality will suffer.
2. Run composite video and analog audio cables to the Hauppauge card. Video quality will be fair but better than using a modulator.
3. Run component video and analog or digital audio audio cables to a Hauppauge Colossus card or HDPVR box at the PC. This will provide the best video and audio quality.

interface an hdmi TV signal with a USB2 port?
The Hauppauge HDPVR box converts component video and analog or digital audio to USB2. The Hauppauge Colossus PCIe card accepts HDMI but HDCP will prevent recording on a PC. There are existing threads that discuss these components.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts