Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I've been having an issue with my Rogers HDPVR 8300. I normally have it set to 1080i and fixed mode. I have it connected directly to my LG LCD TV by HDMI.
For some reason now whenever I turn the PVR power off, it sets the resolution to 480i. And I now have to click the settings button, go to Picture Format and then select 1080i everytime I turn the PVR on. The PVR then stays on 1080i mode until I turn it off again. This gets really annoying.
I've also noticed that whenever I turn on my PS3, the PVR box will also switch back to 480i. This is strange since it is hooked up to the TV on its own HDMI cable and separate TV input.
I haven't changed any of the settings on the TV for months so I'm not sure why this is happening all of a sudden. I'm not sure if there has been some sort of Rogers firmware update that has messed things up.
I've also went through the Advanced Setup again and made sure I only have 1080i selected and that it is on fixed mode.
If anyone has any ideas why this is happening and how I can solve the problem I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried rebooting by unplugging the PVR and also by reseting through the Rogers Self Service menu and each time when it reboots it comes up in 480i mode still. It's still set to fixed mode. Any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
If it's a rental, swap it for an 8642? Make sure it's on 1080i fixed before rebooting - using self service should suffice for this. Does it remember the "fixed" mode after rebooting or does it go back to Auto-HDMI? Is it 480i for all channels or just the SD ones?

After the reboot, change it to a different setting under set picture format - say Upconvert1, then go to Fixed. See if it sticks then. Sometimes these things need a bit of a "kick in the pants" to hear you. ;)

The other day I had a client lose audio and when I changed it to "other" the audio came back, even though he was using HDMI. Weird stuff just happens sometimes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not a rental so swapping isn't an option.
I tried rebooting again, also unplugged it for 30 minutes before rebooting.
The weird thing is it remembers that it is on fixed mode, but still switches to 480i right after I click the power button, (right before powering off I can see the 1080i icon switch to 480i on the display) so when I turn it back on it is on 480i mode. When I check the settings it says it is on fixed mode so I don't understand why it would be switching resolutions.
I've tried switching to 'Upconvert 1, 2, and Auto DVI and then back to fixed mode to try to 'fool' the PVR into locking onto fixed mode but it hasn't seemed to work.
I could always switch back to Component cables but that will create another problem. The reason I switched to HDMI over 2 years ago was to correct an audio lag problem that I was having with my 5.1 receiver. The component cable and optical cables were not in-sync, switching to HDMI corrected this problem.

Do you have any other ideas???

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
Do you have any other video cables connected to the back of the PVR? If so, remove them - RF-coax, component, composite, S-video?

Are you going through an AVR with the HDMI? If so, what's the make/model? If so, you may need new firmware for the AVR. Try connecting HDMI directly to the TV and optical to the AVR? I believe that's what you have per post 1, but just checking to be sure.

HDMI Issues FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HDMI cable runs from the PVR directly to the TV. The only cables in the back of the PVR are;
Cable input.
HDMI, which connects directly to the TV.
I then run an Optical cable from the TV to the Audio Receiver to get digital audio.

·
Super Moderator
56,524 Posts
I then run an Optical cable from the TV to the Audio Receiver to get digital audio.
You should be connected directly from the PVR to the AVR with optical. Perhaps then you'll be able to go with component video that way or is that what you had? Also, often with the audio connection "through" the TV, you will not maintain DD5.1 - see the FAQ, read the bolding:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Synch Post: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=131926&postcount=2

What's your location?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using the HDMI to the TV and then running the Optical cable from TV to Receiver I get 5.1 audio with no lag at all. My TV has no problems passing thru the 5.1 DD signal.
In the past while using the component cable I tried hooking the optical cable up directly from the PVR to the Audio Receiver, and also from the PVR>TV>Receiver and both times experienced audio lag problems that were very noticeable, bad enough that it looked like voices were dubbed in.
I'm located in Bowmanville.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Way back, I had a similar Advanced Setup Wizard "memory" problem with my SA8300HD. I solved the bug by running the wizard first using component video, then I ran it again using HDMI. I think when it momentarily loses the HDMI connection (usually on power up/down), it momentarily reverts back to component video and picks up the component video default setup.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Audio lag ? You mean like with the "chop saki" movies?
Several TV manufacturers have a similar problem with some of their models - I believe LG is one of them. I recall seeing something about this when checking the site for my LG tv (that, fortunately, does NOT exhibit the problem).
Search the manufacturer's website (usually the "support" section) to see if there is any mention of such.

YMMV

- Bill H.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts